Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via Yahoo to M Rako
You could also try using a scoop of substrate from an existing (clean and healthy) tank system.
After the intro of healthy bacteria into your tank its usually only a couple of days before the levels on your tests should be good. Good Luck!

M Rako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:29 PM   #12
Diane, I know there are a lot of advice that you receive in forums. They are all great here, very helpful.

What I did with my 55G was I filled it up with saltwater I prepared (Instant Ocean) after putting dead crushed coral in the bottom of the tank. I let that run for 3 days then I added live sand. I let that run for 1 week then I added live rocks. I let that run for 3 weeks then I added damsels. 1 week later I water changed 10%. Now, the fish population is thriving.

With that said, you don't really have to remove your shrimp or worry about what will happen if you add your live rocks. Let your water run and don't change too much. And definitely add live rocks because they help in balancing your pH.

I know there's this temptation to mess with your tank because you want it up and running ASAP. But just let it run.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thanks everyone for all the input on this! My tank has finished cycling since I first started this thread.

Water readings are: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, pH 8.1, sg 1.023-4, temp 79.

I have 70 pounds of lr.com live and base rock, with these surviving hitchhikers:
a couple of unidentified small crabs,
two spiky purplish urchins (I assume these guys are OK, ?)
lots of wormy things now in the sand,
a few small feather dusters,
and a half dozen or so of the dreaded aiptasia.

Wildlife added a couple of weeks ago by me:
One gorgeous coral banded shrimp
One amazing serpent sea star
assorted hermit crabs and snails.
two little emerald crabs

And, I have ordered my first fish, a pair of banggai cardinalfish, which I hope will be shipped tomorrow. It's been a long time coming, but I may get real fish this week!!

Lots of thanks to everyone on this forum....both for answering my specific questions, and also for letting me read everyone else's questions and answers!!!

BTW, the "search" feature is fantastic!! Lots of info from long ago to be found!
dianeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
welcome to the site! i just discovered it not to long ago myself.

Id say, it wouldnt hurt to put some live rock in there. I had a 20 lb bag of live sand and just some normal volcanic rock and added about 40 lbs of live rock and it really helped kick my tank in the butt. Its 150 gal been up for almost 2 months now. nitrites are 0 ammonia is almost 0 just trying to ride out my last spike before i get another 60 lbs of live rock and some real fish.

I think the best peice of advice anyone can give is to be patient!! dont get the new tank syndrome and try to rush all these natural processes. take your time and let the tank cycle then throw a few damsels in there for a month or two and see how they react. hold off on all water changes till atleast the tank 0's out.
SirLight1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:01 PM   #15
This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.

cycle, salt, saltwater, started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com