Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
What numbers did you get on your ammonia test?

Coralline is the purple stuff on the rock. More will grow soon enough so i wouldn't worry about it.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Coralline is the purple stuff right? I do have some on my rocks, not alot tho. My photography leaves alot to be desired. I also got the last bits that the guy had, he had sold off the bulk already so I got what no one I guess wanted. :-(
Yes Coraline algae is the pink/purple/red stuff that encrusts your rocks. It adds a lot of color to the tank over time. I figured you probably got some rock that was under or behind the rock that was mostly showing but give it a few months and you will have tons. If you have enough calcium it will grow faster as well. It'll start out slow but once it gets going it grows everywhere!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just did a 50% water change and am now reading 4ppm on the ammonia. Now what? Do I wait for tomorrow or pwc again?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Since you don't have anything in the tank you can just leave it. The ammonia will start to drop. Just keep an eye on it.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now that you are at 4 ppm I would leave the water alone. What is your tank temp at? Having it up to 80-82 could help as well. The ammonia that you purchased, did you shake the bottle to make sure no bubbles came up to verify it is pure ammonia?

What you will want to do is try and keep the ammonia at around the 4 ppm until it goes down to 0 overnight. Then add a bit more and make sure it goes back down to zero, then your cycle is complete. With live rock and live sand may not take all that long to get it cycled.

It is hard to just sit and look at an empty tank but patients is the key here for success in the long run. BTW: Good job on not getting the damsels.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Its really not necessary to use ammonia to cycle the tank faster. I'd keep the tank at the usual 78 because algae will grow faster at warmer temps as well. Like smitty said its hard to keep a tank empty but its worth it for the first bit. Your tank is still very young and has a bit more till its ready for livestock. However you could add some Clean-up crew once your parameters are stable in the next week or so. This would help with cycling and your imminent war with algae.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm currently at 79 degrees and holding steady at 4 ppm on the ammonia. I tried for nitrites but nothing so far.

So, if the ammonia drops in the AM I shouldn't dose it back up with ammonia? Or just leave it all alone and wait for nitrites and nitrates?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've never dosed ammonia in my tank and it cycled fine. Just leave it be and let nature do its thing. You can check the water parameters daily and if they stay stable for another week or so you could add some clean-up crew into the tank. You could start with 5 snails and 5 hermits and see how they do. If everything stays the same you could add another 5 of each a week later.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would have to respectfully disagree. I do all my tanks with ammonia and shrimp. Once I remove the disintegrates shrimp, I switch to ammonia dosing.

You want to maintain 4ppm till it drops overnight. The bacteria are feeding and reproducing because of the ammonia. The more there is, the better your population will be. That said, maybe every other day is good for now instead of daily.

Try to keep the light away from the tank to prevent algae and you don't need the skimmer till the end.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFishies View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree. I do all my tanks with ammonia and shrimp. Once I remove the disintegrates shrimp, I switch to ammonia dosing.

You want to maintain 4ppm till it drops overnight. The bacteria are feeding and reproducing because of the ammonia. The more there is, the better your population will be. That said, maybe every other day is good for now instead of daily.

Try to keep the light away from the tank to prevent algae and you don't need the skimmer till the end.
+1
The bacteria need something to feed on: ammonia.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com