Brandons 15 gallon custom frag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish4ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm making a custom 15 gallon frag tank (18x15x9 about 8 inch of water ) I'm going to do like an in tank sump like the fluval spec has. In the sump it will have lr and ls , protein skimmer, and filter floss changed weekly. Is there anything else I'd need?

For stocking I live in the FL keys so I'm gunna catch everything. Any opinions on fish would be great ! I already have ideas of a neon goby pair and that's basically it

What color sand black or white? Or both? I'm going to use 10 lbs of the live aragonite at most lfs

For a frag tank I would probably go with white sand if you wanted to avoid going bare bottomed. From what I've seen the black sand tends to absorb more light.

I never really thought about that .. So that's what ill get .

Black shows off colors of corals better.

I'm not sure about sand absorbing light, or enough to matter.

It's not really going to be a grow tank just ill frag some from my 72 and put them in the 15. And should I mix the sand so it'll be 1/2 black 1/2 white

Black absorbs light and white reflects. It's the same reason why black is hotter to wear in the sun than white is.

To better help you, what are your plans for this frag tank? Is it going to be a show tank? Are you going to be using it mainly for propagation?

For just a plain non show frag tank I would stick with the barebottomed approach as it's easier to clean. Otherwise I would go with a white substrate. Black would also be fine as long as you aren't worried about the adequacy of your lights. You could go with a 50/50 mix but personally I don't think it looks very good.

I'm going to get frags from my 72 and put them in the 15 kinda as a show

Back
Top Bottom