Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-13-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Brands/Types of foods you use...

For clown fish and green chromis

What does everyone recommend in terms of food type (flake, pellet etc)

and brands?

want2findnemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I like Formula One by Ocean Nutrition for a flake food but my clowns have eaten just about anything I've offered. They would nibble at nori sheets, they love mysid and other chopped meaty foods. A better food though is a blender mush food you can make yourself from fresh seafood, seaweed and vitamins. Clowns aren't overly particular IME.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I feed teh same flake food as Fluff. I made blender mush with all kinds of seafood garlic extreme/ and 2 kinds of vitamins. I put way to much Garlic I think I stinks a horrible smell I don't really like it and I am not sure the fish care for it too much either.

120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I always recommend a variety of food. I offer flake, frozen mysis and frozen vitamin fortified brine. IMO variety is best.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
my clowns will eat anything! I rotate formula 2 ( for the coral beauty - but the clowns love it) new life spectrum pellets, a variety of frozen ( saltwalter multi pack) that I've thawed and put together in a small bowl and frozen again and break chunks off that, spirulina tablets broken apart ( a favorite of the shrimp lol.. I dont put it IN there for them, but they go nuts when its in there) , and a bit of freeze dried plankton. They seem to love the variety, though I'd have to say the frozen by far is their favorite!
75 Gallon Saltwater Reef

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I also rotate between Rod's Food, Formula One (flake), freeze dried mysis and krill, blender mush when I make it, nori on alternate (non-feeding) days.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
I found this on brineshrimp direct
I think im going to make something similiar to this in the future.
Mac's Famous Fish Loaf

A proven recipe for Reef Tanks that drives marine fish wild and adds zest (and color) to your reef tank.
Contributed by Kevin M., a.k.a., "ReeferMac," who can sometimes be found on several online forums, including Reef Central Online Community. Kevin maintains a 230-gallon, mostly SPS tank, as well as a variety of marine fish, including a Sailfin Tang, a Rabbitfish, some Chromis and Clownfish.
Approximate cost of the recipe per batch $160-200. One batch lasts one year or more as fed every-other-day.
This Recipe is comprised of roughly equal parts (by volume) of dry and wet ingredients that are thoroughly mixed, placed in molds and frozen.
Dry Ingredients:

Wet Ingredients

This is largely subject to what's available at your local seafood counter — preferably fresh, but frozen will do.
  • Salmon (skin removed)
  • Tuna steak
  • Scallops (if you can afford it, invertebrates love it!)
  • Lobster Legs (smash with hammer, remove most of the shell — same with Crabs and Clams. Avoid putting shell into blender)
  • Crab
  • Clams
  • Haddock
  • Smelt
  • Shrimp, especially shrimp! (frozen shrimp are easy to grate)
  • 8 oz. Frozen Cyclopeeze
  • 125 ml. Selco
  • 125 ml. Tahitian Blend Algae Cryopaste

• Jell-O-Beans Jiggler trays (or, plastic shallow ice tray)
  • Medium-duty food processor or glass blender
  • Two 5 gallon plastic buckets (one for dry ingredients, one for wet)
  • Kitchen shears (for cutting up larger pieces of alga, seafood, etc.)
  • Cheese grater
  • Rubber gloves (optional)

• Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in one bucket. Save the powders for last as it gets a little messy once the powders are added.
  • Grate, cut, dice and otherwise render the combination of wet fresh and frozen ingredients into a range of particle sizes and mix by hand in the other bucket.
  • Mix Selco and Tahitian Blend into wet ingredients. Add water sparingly to assist in thorough mixing.
  • Then it gets messier! Gradually transfer the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together. Take care to eliminate pockets of unmixed ingredients. Gloves will make this process less painstaking, but on the other hand, Kevin claims this cold mix feels good on arthritic joints.
  • Once wet and dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed, fill the ice trays or Jell-O-Bean trays and freeze. If using freezer bags, keep the thickness between 0.5" to 1"
  • Feed at the rate of one Jell-O-Bean every other day. Hand feed the bigger chunks to the larger fish or even some of the larger inverts (brains, anemone, etc.)

want2findnemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com