Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Breaking in a new tank

Ok, it's my turn to freak out over the early algae blooms. I knew to expect diatoms and was actually happy to see the brown spots popping up on the sand. Now I'm starting to worry because the brown spots have stopped spreading and I've got tiny little tufts of what I'm guessing is hair algae cropping up all over the place. The icing on the cake though is that I'm now seeing cyano breakouts. I know my tank hasn't fully cycled yet, but juding by my tests and the small amount of decaying matter i used it should be about half way as the ammonia is dropping and the nitrite is rising. Should I start trying to fight these while their still small or wait till the cycle is over start adding the clean up crew and hope they burn themselves out.

Tomorrow my LR should get in so I will be adding about 50lbs of cured LR possibly removing some of the formerly dry rock depending on the size, shapes etc i get. I'm also getting 20-30lbs of live sand (not the prepackaged bag stuff) and a clump of Chaetomorpha that i'm either going to let float around the tank or shove in the bak-pak till I can get my refugem made.

I'm hoping I'm just overreacting, but as this is my first try at SW I need some one to pat me on the head, say it's ok, and it will all work out. =P

Ratrik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I dont know if you have your lighting running but during your cycle you dont need any lights running. This is helping to fuel your algea. Turn them off for now.

melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
I've not really been running the lights except for the odd bit now and then when i want to check things out. The room my tanks in does have large windows, but the tank is never in direct sunlight. I also try to keep the blinds closed, but my wife has a mind of her own.
Try to work with your building blocks to make the world in your image, but if all else fails, your only human, so break stuff till it works!
Ratrik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My cycle didn't (amonia, nitrite, nitrate) didn't happen because I was lucky enough to get all my live rock from a LFS that was breaking down a costumers VERY mature tank. But the diatom bloom was huge, and went away by itself, then the green algae bloom was huge and mostly went away by itself. I took out one live rock that was completely covered and have seen no signs of green since. The cyano outbreak happened next and was huge. I replaced my maxi-jets with korilla 3's and the cyano went away. I think the cyano was caused by flow problems. now 4 months later I am adding some live stock. I can't believe how entertaining just live rock can be.
mdaniel2882 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com