Breaking in my 46 gal. bow front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

push350z

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got my 46 gallon tank a few days ago, and added some fish to start cycling. More specifically, 4 zebra danios from my old 5 gallon hex tank and 6 julii corydoras. I'm going to use some of the gravel in a sack to help 'kickstart' the cycling process but I have also read a lot of people using bio-spira to really give the cycling a kick in the pants. Would you recommend the bio-spira in addition to the using the 'aged' rock. Also when I started the tank I added a few capfulls of cycle would this cause any problems if I decided to use the bio-spira instead?

Second part of my question, I did some research and I think this is what I decided potentially for my tank:

The first three have already been purchased:
6 julii cories (love them, very active fun fish)
4 zebra danios
1 plec (quarantined)

Potential future tank mates:
Angelfish
Perhaps some schools of guppies or mollies

I'm having a problem thinking of some good fish to finish stocking the tank with once it cycles. I originally wanted bala sharks, but since they grow to be so big and require so much space they will obviously be no good for my 46 gallon. Anyone with a similar size tank recommend some fish that would be compatible with the others already in-tank, I'm really leaning toward an angel or two because I would like a slightly larger fish in my tank as opposed to stocking with a bunch of schools of smaller fish, although that could look cool as well. Thanks!

I have used Bio-Spira 3 times on 3 tanks. 10/29/37 gals. The 29 cycled in 24 hrs. The 37 in 3 days. The 10, well it didn't take. It took 6 weeks. If you get a good batch, keep it cold, sheke it up as if shaking varnish, it should take. You will need either 2 1ounce or 1 3oz for the 46 gal. If you could get it from a local store they might replace it if it doesn't take(maybe). Good luck with the cycle and test your water alot until it cycles.
Welcome to AA

push350z Welcome to AA.

I would just "seed" the filter with media from your old tank and some gravel. I would also remove the fish and put them back in the 5 gal tank for now and do a fishless cycle with ammonia. I did this with my last tank and cycled it in about 7 days. Do a search for fishless cycle there are a lot of articles on the site about it. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom