BREEDING CLOWNS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickkk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i wanna try 2 breed clowns which of these is easyest to breed out of these 3 kind of clowns

percula
clarkii
maroons

which of these should i chose and if u chose one how many should i get and wat tank size should i get

Welcome to AA.

First off, do you have any experience in keeping sw aquariums? If not, I'd look into getting yourself a book and reading it, because clowns cannot breed in shoddy water conditions. :) There is a LOT to know about the general upkeep of a saltwater tank, not to mention the expenses. Knowing what you are getting into and the maintence required will save you a lot of time and money.

Second, it will take you atleast a year, if not 2 years, to get clowns to breed for you (in most cases). They need to be bought young, allowed to mature together and form a breeding pair (the sex change to female occuring) and then you wait for them to become old enough to breed. It took my clowns about 2 years to figure it out. They are not like freshwater fish in which most cases you just put them together and a week later you have eggs/fry.

If you are interested still, I would go with atleast a 30 gallon tank and get only 2 percula or ocellaris clownfish. They are the easiest to breed, I believe. Getting more than 2 will likely ruin your chance of breeding occuring. You will also need a smaller tank, a 10 gallon or so, to raise the eggs and fry in. Lots of food (baby brine shrimp, artemia, greenwater cultures, etc.) sponge filters, etc. All in all, it isn't easy.

HTH

how do the baby clowns not get sucked up into the sponge filter?

well i have had my 55 gallon for about 3 month but my brother and i have had a 30 gallon for a year now

Sponge filters are relatively safe because they are very low flow with a large sponge on the outside, so nothing has the opportunity to get sucked up.

nickkk, I'd stick some clowns in your 30 gallon and have fun. Be patient, and it may happen.

would it faster if i just as my lfs to order me paired clowns

Back
Top Bottom