Brine Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read about several corals needing brine shrimp for nutrition. One example is the "Yellow Colony Polyp". Question: With the high filtration requirements of a SW tank, how do you hatch brine shrimp and have them swim around without getting sucked into the filter and filtered out?

I believe most folks that raise brine shrimp do it separately from their main tank. However, brine shrimp are not the most nutritious things in the world. Many LPS corals will eat meaty foods, chopped up finely. I normally feed mine mysis shrimp (not brine), cyclopeeze, and some zooplan powder a couple times a week. Many folks don't target feed their corals at all. There are some though - sun corals, for example (which may be your "yellow colony polyp"... not sure) - that are not photosynthetic and will NEED to be feed to stay alive.

Kurt_Nelson said:
I believe most folks that raise brine shrimp do it separately from their main tank. However, brine shrimp are not the most nutritious things in the world. Many LPS corals will eat meaty foods, chopped up finely. I normally feed mine mysis shrimp (not brine), cyclopeeze, and some zooplan powder a couple times a week. Many folks don't target feed their corals at all. There are some though - sun corals, for example (which may be your "yellow colony polyp"... not sure) - that are not photosynthetic and will NEED to be feed to stay alive.

I was hoping to use my SW tank to raise brine shrimp to give Giant Danio fry in my FW breeder tank.

Most people grow the brine in a 2 litre bottle with an air line in it. It wont do much good to grow them in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom