Bristleworm?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shap0311

Aquarium Advice Regular
Believe I have found a bristle worm that has tagged along in my live rock. I am cycling my tank right now. Will this worm cause any harm to anything once in the tank? He's pink and white.

Thanks

No, he won't harm anything. They just eat detritus in your substrate, and around your rocks. Having some is actually a good thing.

Just make sure it's not a fire worm. Fire worms are harmful. Found one in my tank recently, easy to confuse for a bristle.

After getting started, I would willingly move rocks and sand around with my unprotected hand. Now I feel crazy for having done so.

I have brisle worms in my refuge, and drop them from my tank in there if I happen to find one, but I always have gloves on, or a bag from buying fish covering my hand.

Bettet to be safe then sorry if something could spine your hand.

There is a lot of confusion on bristleworms. When most people say fireworm, they are referring to the bearded fireworm
Bearded_Fireworm_%28Small%29.jpg

However, it is worth noting that fireworm is also a colloquial term for all polychaete worms with irritating bristles along their sides. Essentially, all bristleworms.
The bearded fireworm is not a huge risk because it is fearless. You won't ever have to wonder if you have one because it will never hide.
As for all the other bristleworms, they are harmless. UNLESS they get big. And some of the common species we see do get big of allowed to gorge on uneaten fish food and dead animals. But until you see a 8 inch long 1 inch thich bristleworm in your tank... RELAX. It's fine. It's just there to clean up! And for every one you see, there are probably 10 others munching away on fish poop and uneaten food in the background, so really, don't freak out if you see a worm.

It didn't look like the forsworn pictured above. More like a spiny earthworm.

Thank you all for the info.

That's exactly what mine look like, earth worms with little hairs on them.

ForumRunner_20120628_130309.jpg

Harmless. In fact, those particular ones are an essential part of the sand's biodiversity. Keep them!

Back
Top Bottom