Brittle or Serpent Stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
It was suggested to my by KC that orange linkias are good stars to keep, and a online salseman told me all hee had was brittle and serpant stars. Is there any problems keeping B or S tars. Or should I try to find the linkias?

well, both the serpent and brittle stars are very hardy. what size is your tank? if its 50+ i would recommend a sepent star, brittle start, AND an orange linckia. The orange, I believe, is the hardiest of the linckias and you'll keep one of those alive longer than any anenome. JMO, though...

http:\\www.saltwaterfish.com is an excellent online store and a great place to get your linckia and/or S and B stars...I have bought all of mine there, and also several fish and tons of inverts and mushrooms.....all very good quality, great shipping policy, and very good quarantee.

I looked there and they prefer a min 75 order. I would buy there 20-55 gallon package except I was told not to put hermits in my tank, and that I should use fighting conches (2) instead, as they wouldn't bulldoze my tank. Also was told the hermits would kill my snails for there shells. Is all this true? I have a 50 Gallon with LR&LS only for three weeks now. Levels are all nearing 0, and I have a Diatom Bloom. I wanted to get the right mix of clean up critters, but on the same hand I don't want to decimate my DSB 4-5".

P.s I love your Linkia
eyelove.gif

Hermits are great for algae control and yes they do kill snails for shells...I think I found a somewhat key to this though...Try to buy snails much bigger than the hermits...The hermits tend to kill snails around the size that they can use for replacement shells. At any rate, the snails are cheap enough that you can replace them without breaking the bank. Blue legs like diatoms... Snails are good also....I would not suggest getting sand sifters or things that are reliant on sand bed inhabitants until about 6 mos or so..Give the sand some time to populate with the pods and worms and bacteria....

kid, That is an awesome linka! You have me convinced. How did you acclimate him? 8O

1. Float for 20 minutes.
2. Add 1 ounce of water to the bag.
3. Repeat step 2 every 3-5 minutes until the water is doubled.
(this is to slowly adapt the specimen to your salinity)
4. When it is doubled, pour out half of the water, and repeat step 2.
5. When it is doubled again, pour out half of the water.
6. Now, I trim the bag as much as possible, be careful that you have a good grip.
7. Finally, place the bag in the water and submerge it. Don't pour it out, but rather work your finger/hand UNDERNEATH AN ARM OR TWO AND LIFT HIM OUT. DO NOT TOUCH HIM ANYWHERE BUT UNDERNEAT HIS ARMS IF YOU CAN HELP IT, IT CAN CAUSE INFECTION.

Thats about it. It takes a while, but is worth it when you have a healthy specimen. I do all of my acclimating this way, because for the delicates temperature is not enough. Good luck on it.

but rather work your finger/hand UNDERNEATH AN ARM OR TWO AND LIFT HIM OUT. DO NOT TOUCH HIM ANYWHERE BUT UNDERNEAT HIS ARMS IF YOU CAN HELP IT, IT CAN CAUSE INFECTION.

Infection to him Or Me? will he sting me?

Oh, goodness, infection to him. They are completely harmless. I am not posative, but I have a pretty good idea that there are no dangerous-to-human stars. Its pretty easy to handle them, although I only handle mine if I am rearranging rock. Getting under his arms is easy to do. Let me know how it goes if you get one.

Do any of the kind of stars you are talking about eat or attack corals? I've heard that some stars will do that.

-Dan

nugrad2005 said:
Do any of the kind of stars you are talking about eat or attack corals? I've heard that some stars will do that.

-Dan

Some do, in fact, munch the corals. Here is about as much as I know about stars: Linckias do NOT eat corals, but are mainly filter feeders and algae/phytoplankton eaters (mine, an orange) actually mingles with my mushrooms and polyps, in between harmlessly)

Also, serpent and/or brittle stars do not eat corals. They are non aggressive, nocturnal mostly scavengers. They just hide under rock, hand out a tenticle or two, and wait for food to drop. They are fantastic for reefers, IMO.

DO NOT add Choclate Chip stars or any of that body shape. Sand sifters, I'm not sure of. DO NOT add Red Knob Sea Stars. I think any "knobby" or really thick bodied star fish are more agressive and can consume the corals, mostly mushrooms, polyps, clams, and the other noncessiles.

Finally, do not add stars to your tank if you have Trigger Fish, or they will be fodder. Good luck!

Kid, When you add him to the tank, do you actually mix in a little of the bag water? I was trying to figure out how people do this (I know the linka is not supposed to touch air) I read the post about lifting him up under his arms, I just dont understand how to get him in there without him touching air OR mixing in a little of the water. 8O I am going to add one after my tank is about six months old. (Itis only 1 month old now) I cant wait, the type "A" personality of mine can not get over the acclimation specifics. Did you get him at saltwaterfish.com? Thanks for all of the info!

Submerge the bag slowly. you will actually get a little bit of water, but it is negligable. I'm not sure that starfish give off any toxic stress chemicals, If anyone knows, I would appreciate the info. But i submerge the bag, then lift it out all under the water. And, yes, you are right about not exposing them to air.

Well I just placed my order with www.thelogicalreef.com

I orederd

10 astrea snails
10 nassisuri snails
2 fighting Conches
1 brittle star
1 serpent star

It was 30.50 for creatures and 35.17 overnight by 10:30 am

Order will arrive fri, my day off, and I let ya'll know how it comes out.

Can I place the stars right on the sand or rock?

I was just reading at one of the online stores that orange linkas are not reef safe. Any input from anyone who has heard this?

Back
Top Bottom