Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2003, 04:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugrad2005
Do any of the kind of stars you are talking about eat or attack corals? I've heard that some stars will do that.

-Dan
Some do, in fact, munch the corals. Here is about as much as I know about stars: Linckias do NOT eat corals, but are mainly filter feeders and algae/phytoplankton eaters (mine, an orange) actually mingles with my mushrooms and polyps, in between harmlessly)

Also, serpent and/or brittle stars do not eat corals. They are non aggressive, nocturnal mostly scavengers. They just hide under rock, hand out a tenticle or two, and wait for food to drop. They are fantastic for reefers, IMO.

DO NOT add Choclate Chip stars or any of that body shape. Sand sifters, I'm not sure of. DO NOT add Red Knob Sea Stars. I think any "knobby" or really thick bodied star fish are more agressive and can consume the corals, mostly mushrooms, polyps, clams, and the other noncessiles.

Finally, do not add stars to your tank if you have Trigger Fish, or they will be fodder. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2003, 01:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Kid, When you add him to the tank, do you actually mix in a little of the bag water? I was trying to figure out how people do this (I know the linka is not supposed to touch air) I read the post about lifting him up under his arms, I just dont understand how to get him in there without him touching air OR mixing in a little of the water. 8O I am going to add one after my tank is about six months old. (Itis only 1 month old now) I cant wait, the type "A" personality of mine can not get over the acclimation specifics. Did you get him at saltwaterfish.com? Thanks for all of the info!

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 08:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Submerge the bag slowly. you will actually get a little bit of water, but it is negligable. I'm not sure that starfish give off any toxic stress chemicals, If anyone knows, I would appreciate the info. But i submerge the bag, then lift it out all under the water. And, yes, you are right about not exposing them to air.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:54 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Well I just placed my order with www.thelogicalreef.com

I orederd

10 astrea snails
10 nassisuri snails
2 fighting Conches
1 brittle star
1 serpent star

It was 30.50 for creatures and 35.17 overnight by 10:30 am

Order will arrive fri, my day off, and I let ya'll know how it comes out.

Can I place the stars right on the sand or rock?
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 02:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was just reading at one of the online stores that orange linkas are not reef safe. Any input from anyone who has heard this?

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com