Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2003, 03:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Brittle or Serpent Stars

It was suggested to my by KC that orange linkias are good stars to keep, and a online salseman told me all hee had was brittle and serpant stars. Is there any problems keeping B or S tars. Or should I try to find the linkias?

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 04:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

well, both the serpent and brittle stars are very hardy. what size is your tank? if its 50+ i would recommend a sepent star, brittle start, AND an orange linckia. The orange, I believe, is the hardiest of the linckias and you'll keep one of those alive longer than any anenome. JMO, though...

http:\\www.saltwaterfish.com is an excellent online store and a great place to get your linckia and/or S and B stars...I have bought all of mine there, and also several fish and tons of inverts and mushrooms.....all very good quality, great shipping policy, and very good quarantee.

Old 06-08-2003, 04:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
I looked there and they prefer a min 75 order. I would buy there 20-55 gallon package except I was told not to put hermits in my tank, and that I should use fighting conches (2) instead, as they wouldn't bulldoze my tank. Also was told the hermits would kill my snails for there shells. Is all this true? I have a 50 Gallon with LR&LS only for three weeks now. Levels are all nearing 0, and I have a Diatom Bloom. I wanted to get the right mix of clean up critters, but on the same hand I don't want to decimate my DSB 4-5".

P.s I love your Linkia
Old 06-09-2003, 12:54 AM   #4

Hermits are great for algae control and yes they do kill snails for shells...I think I found a somewhat key to this though...Try to buy snails much bigger than the hermits...The hermits tend to kill snails around the size that they can use for replacement shells. At any rate, the snails are cheap enough that you can replace them without breaking the bank. Blue legs like diatoms... Snails are good also....I would not suggest getting sand sifters or things that are reliant on sand bed inhabitants until about 6 mos or so..Give the sand some time to populate with the pods and worms and bacteria....
Old 06-09-2003, 01:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

kid, That is an awesome linka! You have me convinced. How did you acclimate him? 8O
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 09:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

1. Float for 20 minutes.
2. Add 1 ounce of water to the bag.
3. Repeat step 2 every 3-5 minutes until the water is doubled.
(this is to slowly adapt the specimen to your salinity)
4. When it is doubled, pour out half of the water, and repeat step 2.
5. When it is doubled again, pour out half of the water.
6. Now, I trim the bag as much as possible, be careful that you have a good grip.
7. Finally, place the bag in the water and submerge it. Don't pour it out, but rather work your finger/hand UNDERNEATH AN ARM OR TWO AND LIFT HIM OUT. DO NOT TOUCH HIM ANYWHERE BUT UNDERNEAT HIS ARMS IF YOU CAN HELP IT, IT CAN CAUSE INFECTION.

Thats about it. It takes a while, but is worth it when you have a healthy specimen. I do all of my acclimating this way, because for the delicates temperature is not enough. Good luck on it.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
but rather work your finger/hand UNDERNEATH AN ARM OR TWO AND LIFT HIM OUT. DO NOT TOUCH HIM ANYWHERE BUT UNDERNEAT HIS ARMS IF YOU CAN HELP IT, IT CAN CAUSE INFECTION.
Infection to him Or Me? will he sting me?
Old 06-09-2003, 11:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, goodness, infection to him. They are completely harmless. I am not posative, but I have a pretty good idea that there are no dangerous-to-human stars. Its pretty easy to handle them, although I only handle mine if I am rearranging rock. Getting under his arms is easy to do. Let me know how it goes if you get one.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nugrad2005 Send a message via Yahoo to nugrad2005
Do any of the kind of stars you are talking about eat or attack corals? I've heard that some stars will do that.

-Dan

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
nugrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 11:59 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good question. as I don't want anything that mean.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com