Brittle (serpent) Star Reproduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toga

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I suppose most people finally join the forums when they have a question that they cant seem to answer. I've been reading this site for quite a while and I like what I've seen.... so here's the question that brought me in:

How do serpent stars reproduce?

I'm asking because I've had my 75 gallon tank for 3+ years and luckily haven't had any "major" crashes. I never had any serpent stars in the tank as I was under the impression that the sand sifting stars were sufficient. I watch the tank at all hours, even at night and have never seen any that may have hitchhiked. After a "sort of crash" I put one bristle star and one serpent star in to clean up the detrius a bit better at the live rock edge and in all the places that are hard to get to.

I now have one brittle star and three serpent stars. And the kicker is, as much as I think I stare at the tank, I never saw the new ones until they were pretty good sized. (about half the size of the one I purchased)

Not that I'm complaining, I like them, but how did I get them? Do they reproduce asexually? If you can point me to something, that would be great. I'm apparently not Googling it correctly. :)

Hi Toga!

I am thinking of making my next tank SW, so I am in a kind of research mode with all this stuff...

Anyway, I thought your question was interesting so I looked and found this link:

http://starfish.ch/reef/echinoderms.html#brittle

If this is the correct type of brittle star, they can reproduce asexually. At least maybe this link will get you started...

Welcome to AA!

Thanks Tigerlily!

Now I think the question is, is there such a thing as too many brittle stars? And if so, will they stop reproducing before that point?

Back
Top Bottom