Brittle Star care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
During the tank move, it looks like the cold killed all the fish. The brittle stars, coral banded shrimp, urchins and snails/crabs survived. As well as most of the soft corals.

Temp 78/79
Sal 1.024
Amm - 0
Nit 0
Nitrate - 80ppm!!

How do care for the brittle star and coral banded with no fish in the tank?

I was told the urchins just eat the algae off the rocks?

It may be a week to 10 days till I add. I want to find and have the LFS hold them for a bit before adding.

CLEALRY I need to do a PWC ASAP!

brittle stars are scavengers. they eat meaty foods or pellets. you can hand feed them if you like. just touch a piece of food to one of their legs, and it will curl around it.
the coral banded is also a scavenger. i wouldn't worry too much about either one of them.
10 days isn't going to hurt them.

I have Cheato in the sump/refugium how long do you think it would take to reduce the nitrates?

I currently leave the fuge lt on 12 hours at night. Should i do 24hrs?

I realized that my RO housing has a crack. I have to wait for a replacement to get here and buy RO water for an emergency PWC.

chaetomorpha doesn't nuke the tank so you don't have to worry about keeping the light on 24/7. i don't believe that's a good practice anyway. the critters that live and breed in the refugium benefit from a night as well.
i prefer running the refugium light opposite the tank light.

i have no idea about the algae.

So far it is timed to run opposite. the sand is fresh, so, only what's on the rock is seeding it till I find someone to give me some live sand.

I'm just looking for options to get the nitrates down. I have to buy RO water today for a PWC. I just ordered a replacement housing for the ro/di. But i need to change water asap.

I guess the corals are okay with the high Nitrate? At least for right now? They are doing well it seems.

Back
Top Bottom