brittle star losing legs... what the heck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine is missing half of one of it's legs, and the guy at the LFS told me that was normal from time to time.

Apparently, they are very brittle little guys. He also said it was important to make sure to not expose him to air when transfering him into the new tank.

Keep us posted on his/her progress - would be interested to know if mine is going to start dropping legs/arms, too.

Todd

Sorry, I mis-spoke. I have a serpant star, not a brittle star, but they are sort of similar . . .

sorry,
Todd

How long has it been in your tank? Starfish in general are very sensitive to changes in salinity. I usually take 2 hrs or more to acclimate them. I also make sure the SG of the acclimation water matches my tank before I move them in.

One of the reported causes of leg loss is poor acclimation.

Brian

well hes been in my tnak for about 2 weeks now. my water has been a little crazy the past few days, thats probably why. how long does it take them to grow their legs back?

there you go. brittle stars seem to sometimes make an attractive lunch for the emeralds. I had 2 emeralds that were perfectly well tempered. I added a third, much larger one, and lo and behold! my brittle lost a leg. My good buddy called me up shortly after and said he saw his emerald in action eating a leg of his bristle star. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom