brittle stars and air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know starfish cant be exposed to air. I *thought* that included all stars period, but Im hoping to find out I'm wrong.... I bought a green brittle star yesterday and the guy just picked it up out of the water and put it in a bag. Not wanting to be a picky pain of a customer, I figured maybe he knew something I didnt (this store is generally very quality) but the more I think about it the more I fear that animal is screwed. Should I return it before it dies and let them handle it or will it be ok?

IME brittle stars (which I have one) are not as big of a deal as some stars and small excursions out of the water hasn't bothered mine. How long did you acclimate it and did it dig out a spot under your rocks yet or is it roaming the tank at night?

If you still have your crabs it's only a matter of time before they start to mess with it if not well fed.

Also, beware of the green brittle star. Anywhere you read on them, on the web or in book form, will give you a warning on the "green fish eater". They have been known, quite commonly, to eat fish. Although I do believe there are a few people on this board whom have had them and not had problems, there have been people who have.

This is what wetwebmedia has to say on them:

"One species in common use warrants a statutory warning. This is the Green Brittle Star of the genus Ophiarachna. This animal is a predatory fish eater, that does indeed do a spiffy janitorial job when small... but grows quickly, and under darkness of night can/does learn to eat aquarium fishes. This species has been documented to arch up in "sleeping caves" of captive fishes and drop down on unsuspecting meals. If you use this species, keep an eye on it, and a count on your piscine livestock."
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brittlestars.htm

Tec-
he got a 1 hour drip acclimation, and i havent watched for it at night yet.

Devilish-
I dont like the sound of that at all! That may warrant a taking back... i dont like the sound of that at all. The guy told me it wouldnt mess with anything.

I think you`ll be OK with those being exposed to air. You`ll just need to worry more on the acclimation part. If you did that OK then you`ll be OK. IMO

I had one as a hitchhiker on a piece of LR, I took it out of the bag and looked at the rock and noticed something squrming around, so he was exposed for about 1-2 mins. I do agree, I have read they will arch up and wait for a fish to swim under them and BAM, fish is gone.
Micah, have you had any problems? I imagine not since you didn't note that in your response.

I have a regular brown brittle that is about 11" now. Besides fighting with by CBS every time I put a small piece of raw shrimp in for the Sea Star it hasn't bothered anybody (Sea Star wins most of the time).

All my fish are very active during the day but settle in within the lr at night so if the Brittle wanted to I'm sure he could catch one of the smaller fish but I've watched it go right up to fish/shrimp/hermits/snails and once it detects movement keeps on moving.

They aren't very smart (I don't think they have what we usually would think of as a brain) and mostly just move around the tank by feeling around and they don't have eyes to see what they are touching.

IME if something moves they avoid it but if it's still like raw shrimp/other food then they will pounce on it fairly quickly drawing it to the center (mouth). They are amazingly strong though when they get larger and quite a few times I've thought my CBS might become a snack during there fighting over food.

ok everything should be good then. I did a little more reading and a lot of sites say they are 'notorious' for eating small fish.

My stock list will only include a clown of some sort (store by me breeds true percs! So im definetly thinking one or two of them) and maybe a clown fairy (i havent decided if hes staying or going. Its basically if he will kill himself jumping out the back, the front and sides of the tank are shielded.) So it'll mostly be larger fish anyway... tangs/sarg. trigger/so on

Agnate80700 said:
it'll mostly be larger fish anyway... tangs/sarg. trigger/so on
In a 30 gal :eek: I wouldn't put any of those fish in anything smaller then a 75 gal and preferably a 125+ gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom