Bro-inlaw keeps being negative about my tank! he's wrong!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I wrote a post in the reef aquaria about my bro-in-law that said that corals count as your 'animals per gallon' rule..he was wrong. (*snicker*)

Last night he is telling me there is too much going on in my tank and that it is headed for DOOM! He said I have too many snails and blue legged crabs. (the 1/4 inch ones) I have about 6 crabs and about 8-10 snails. (tank is over 6 feet long and short, 80 gallon)

They clean up my algae and eat the left overs on the bottom. In-law says they will eat all of the good things on my live rock and I should get rid of them asap.

He also said I am going to kill everything in my tank a few times, only the damsels will live. (you can check my info about my tank specifics)

NOW- I check everything daily. I am on this site daily talking to all of you WONDERFULLY helpful vets that know what to do. My water parameters are great, tank is clean, fish are happy etc etc.

Why is he trying to discourage me like this!? I am being very meticulous with my tank and I think I am doing a great job for a newbie! (so there)

How many sw tanks does he have? Sounds like a bit of old world thinking to me. I remember years ago when I first got interest in sw, it was common and expected that the fish will only live a short time. That's not the case anymore though. We have more knowledge and know better now how to care for them. These fish live for years. ;)

I see nothing wrong with what you have. The crabs are benefitial and will not kill your tank. If anything, I don't think you have enough crabs and snails but more can be added as needed. Keep on reading and teaching "him" how to properly maintain a sw tank. Good luck. :)

Tell him to get his own tank. Sure, you will make mistakes, we all do. There is no reason for him to be so negative.

In fact, if that is the only critters you have for a clean up crew, you need alot more IMO.

I agree with Hara and Fluff, you are going to need more snails and crabs as you go along. I've lost count on how many I have. Maybe a dozen crabs and countless snails, many of which hiched a ride in on LR.

Good luck!!

Thank you! I agree! I do need more clean up crew. I ALWAYS have brown algae on my glass and I think that about 10 more snails would do the trick. And my tiny crabbies, I need more of them too to clean up the extra food that my roomie fed the fish last week since I can't scoop it out. My tank is so very long that the little guys have a tough time getting to everything.

I can't wait to tell him what all of your said. (*snicker*)

i agree. does he have saltwater tank? if not, then he cant say too much about it. you read and are on this forum, and that says that you care about your tank. research and research some more, that will tell you all you need to know. dont listen to him, just keep doin what youre doin and youll show him in the long run. i suggest not even listening to him anymore. hell see in the years to come, (lol)

I would definately get a bigger clean up crew like you said. If you plan on having a reef tank those big turbo snails knock everything over. I'd stay away from them! They aren't bad, but they have just been really bugging me because they are always knocking my corals over! Anyway, I think you should tell your bro-in-law to get a profile on here so we can correct his way of thinking and bring him into the new way of SW tanks. :) Thats if he keeps buggin you. Best of luck with everything. You seem to be doing an awesome job! Things happen in this hobby but don't let them discourage you. You only learn from them and can help out other people who may be having the same troubles.

I think he might be a little jealous, or one of those "know it alls". I think you are doing great and shouldn't pay him any attention!

Back
Top Bottom