Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Brown Algae

SO my new tank is up and running..my levels are great i'm wondering now that i have some mushrooms if i'm running my lights to long. My Tank sand and also rock have developed brown algae looking stuff. Now i've read that one person said his tank turned brown before the coraline started is this true. i know the next question are you using RO water..Currently now. But the growth didnt start until i got my Compact fixture and put in mushrooms with light dosing about 10 hours daily.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
How old is the tank? It sounds like it may be diatoms. They will burn themselves out.
When you mean dosing...what are you dosing?
Typically, your PWCs will replenish your trace elements and dosing is not needed....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

dosing= the time i leave my lights on...so theres nothing i need to do correct? i dont have a bunch of stock just one tiny damsel and liverock
Old 10-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Dosing with light"... interesting way to think about it! Normally though, "dosing" refers to the addition of some chemical additives... just FYI. 10 hours is not too long for lighting. With power compacts, I wouldn't run them any less.

Regarding the brown algae, it does sound like diatoms. If you don't have any snails like astrea or trochus in there yet, you probably want to add some now. They will help munch away on the stuff, and the other algae that will spring up.

You say your parameters are "great", why not post up those numbers - some folk's "great" numbers sometimes aren't that great, so it's good to rule that out right in the beginning.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
have u done ur phosphate test when i had high phosphates i got alot of brown algae and i now dont have any brown algae since i removed the phosphates while pwc
Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do some water changes, and then get a Clean-up-Crew, if you get a starfish, make sure it is a brittle star, and not a chocolate chip. That's what worked for me when I had diatom, dont even bother with algacides.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
but ill wait on the star fish if your tnk isnt mature enough it will died ill get either a nassauru snails or ill get a diamond back gobby
Old 11-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamavelar View Post
but ill wait on the star fish if your tnk isnt mature enough it will died ill get either a nassauru snails or ill get a diamond back gobby
Very true, I would get about 4 golf ball size snails to start off with.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

those are called turbo, how big is your tank?? and a guy told me that for my 75 gal i should have from 8 to 15 turbos and at least 20 margaritas and 12 nassauros but that will be up to you and 15 hermits and 4 emerald, i dont have that many but i hve a alot of snails
Old 11-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep the amount of Hermit crabs down to no more then 5. They only cause trouble when they get larger.

Tags
algae, brown algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com