Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Brown Algae

I just started a 12 gallon Nano Cube. I put my live rock in last week after putting the substrate in two days earlier. I purchased my LR from a LFS and it is full of Life. Two small star fish that are all white and some sort of coral.( I am going to try to get pictures up soon.) The tank has been cycling for five days. There is a orange/brown algae spreading into the substrate as well as several pieces of live rock. What can this be is it to soon to add a CUC?
Ph 8.2
Alk 1.7-2.8
NO2 1
NO3 10+
NH3 .25-0

heydingdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yes I would wait a bit before adding a cuc. The thing is if you add a cuc they won't get rid of the brown algae. Brown algae is just a diatom bloom that is very common with new salt tanks. It will burn itself out in a few weeks or so and then you will get a green algae bloom towards the end. Then you will get your coraline "hopefully" after that. I am still fairly new at salt but this is my understanding so far and I have started a tank in similar size also. Check out my thread to see the algae I have only a few weeks in and you can compare it to yours...

th08tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
The brown algea won't hurt it is a sign that your tank is cycling. It will dies off on its own as things stabilize.
eatsomepopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, brown algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com