Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heydingdong

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started a 12 gallon Nano Cube. I put my live rock in last week after putting the substrate in two days earlier. I purchased my LR from a LFS and it is full of Life. Two small star fish that are all white and some sort of coral.( I am going to try to get pictures up soon.) The tank has been cycling for five days. There is a orange/brown algae spreading into the substrate as well as several pieces of live rock. What can this be is it to soon to add a CUC?
Ph 8.2
Alk 1.7-2.8
NO2 1
NO3 10+
NH3 .25-0

Yes I would wait a bit before adding a cuc. The thing is if you add a cuc they won't get rid of the brown algae. Brown algae is just a diatom bloom that is very common with new salt tanks. It will burn itself out in a few weeks or so and then you will get a green algae bloom towards the end. Then you will get your coraline "hopefully" after that. I am still fairly new at salt but this is my understanding so far and I have started a tank in similar size also. Check out my thread to see the algae I have only a few weeks in and you can compare it to yours...

The brown algea won't hurt it is a sign that your tank is cycling. It will dies off on its own as things stabilize.

Back
Top Bottom