Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mineman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I seem to be having a problem with brown algae. It is on the glass under my substrate bad and I have to clean the glass every other day or so to keep the glass clean. I read that plants in the sump can help, but I don't have lighting there. Another place I read that there are attractive plants for the display aquarium. The local fish store said that I have my lights on too much and strongly recommended against any plants in the display. I keep my lights on all day, about 14 hours. Thoughts please!!!

55g, 75 lbs lr, 35 g sump, 750 ph (2), protein skimmer, 65 lbs live crushed coral substrate, T5 lighting (2 white, two purple), turbos (10), blue legged hermit, unknown hermit, crimson hermits (5), banded shrimp, fire shrimp, blue/green damsels (3), yellow tail damsels (2), orange clown, black and white clown, kole tang.

Well... yeah - your lights are on too long. Cut that to about 10 hours and see if that helps.

If you're talking about brown algae - as in diatoms - then it could just be the "new tank" phase, assuming this is a new tank. Most new tanks go through a diatom phase that will eventually burn itself out.

Also, cleaning your glass every other day or so is pretty normal.

It is new to me, although I transported the water and everything wet. I did a 25% WC after set up. Still think it's only the lighting?

I have to say it sounds like diatoms which are common with "new tanks" and yes it will happen even if you just transported a tank and setup everything the same, dont worry much about them they should die off just as fast as they appeared.

And yes the lighting seems much cut it back to 10-12 tops

Back
Top Bottom