Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

igadget56

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am newTo saltwater tank, I think I have the basics down. Like live sand live rock, cycling the tank. I started out with about 1 inch of life sand and 25 pounds of live rock and one damsel. I'm monitored the ammonia nitrite and nitrates. After ammonia spike I had zero on all three. Everything was fine. Then I found live rock on craigslist and checked it out, it was a 50 gallon Tank with 100 pounds of live rock. Still set up, all look really nice covered coralline algae, I bought it for $100. So now I have 125 pounds live rock. Well a week later I found some more and other hundred dollars for 100 pounds, so now I am up to 225 pounds. It all looked good for about a week now everything is covered in brown algae and my nitrate is 20 ppm ammonia and nitrite still zero. I have 250 Wats half actinic and half 10,000 K which I have set on a timer 12 hours on 12 hours off. I had and ehiem canister filter that I used on my freshwater set up I was advised not to use it. I also have four or five corals, that is why I leave the light on so long. I am not running a filter but I am running a skimmer. Amazingly the water is crystral clear. I added a clown fish and they seem very very healthy, very good appetites. I have 2 1400 GPH pumps running for water circulation. Two questions, what kind of filter should I be running and will the brown algae in time turn to coraline algae. I hope I have enough details for someone to answer thank you in advance, I know I'm going to need more help him down the road

Sounds like diatoms it is a natural part of the starting a tank. Anytime you add rock or sand it can cause it to reoccur. You might want to back your lights down to about 6 hours. Depending on the corals you can do a day or two without any light.

Diatoms will not turn into coraline.

For a filter we will need to know how big the tank is and do you have room for a sump? Before starting I would have gotten the tank drilled and a sump or fuge.

Algae

Thanks for the reply. Forgot the most Important part, the tank
is 125 Gallons. Is there any other way to lower nitrates than a water change

Yes I do have room for a sump. Would a 30 gallon long old aquarium work and would I need lights on it? The aquarium is built in to my living room wall and behind it there is a bedroom,. so I have lots of room but I really would like lights in their

Back
Top Bottom