Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my tank has been set up for 3months now it is a juwel rio 180 i have the original filter running aswell as a aquaone cf1000 external filter and a 3000l/h powerhead. I am now getting brown algae on my rock and sand what can i do about it? I have a blue damsel and black and wite stripe damsel and a yellow clown gobby. I feed every other day a somtimes frozen cockel meat or live food.

Sounds like diatoms. They usually disappear on their own sometimes they come back when you add more rock.

Sounds about right i added new rock last week is there and sort of snail or shrimp that would help keep ot clean?

Try getting yourself a few Otos. We were told they are one of the best cleaners for brown algae. We had a brown algae outbreak not long ago. It seemed like as soon as we noticed one or two spots, the whole back of the tank was covered in it, and the rocks. We bought 3 Otos (not thinking they woul do a good job because they are tiny) and they had that tank clean in a couple days. Theyve been keeping it under control since.

Otos are freshwater fish, and do help with diatoms.

In a saltwater tank, your best bet is snails and the rest of your CUC. More important though is just patience. Once the silicates in the water column are consumed, they will fade away.

Otos are a freshwater fish.

The diatoms will eventually burn themselves out but petty much any snail will take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom