Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
Recently my tank seems almost overrun with brown algae. It's not harming anything but I was wondering what the best fish or creatures were for keeping it under control. I'd heard turbo snails obviously but I also heard yellow tang eat it? It's kind if "hairy" in spots. Suggestions?

You need to find out the root cause of the problem and stop it rather just buying fish or snails to eat it. I've just won a battle against brown algae but it easy. It's usually a build up of nitrates or phosphates. What are your water parameters like?

I've got it under control now. I scraped some off the base rock and got some turbo snails and a tomini tang. They seem to be doing the trick. :)

AbsoluteFaye said:
What is a cuc? And I don't think I can cut back on lighting because of my dragon eye zoanthid.

Is it new tank? If so it will come and go

AbsoluteFaye said:
Yeah new tank. Cycled though. Just tested a little bit again. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all at zero.

Could be diatoms feed off silicates when silicates are gone itll go away they usually show up at end or shortly after cycle

Any clue as to how's by turbo snails one would recommend? I've seen "packages" for cleaner kits putting like 20-30 of them. I have a 75gal tank with 3 turbo snails. I want to get a Sally light foot but I don't know if they get along with the cleaner shrimp my husband is dying to have. Lol.

Oh duh. I knew that. Lol. Long day. Anyone have info in the snails or crabs? From my previous reply? I'm very new to this so any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I like emerald crabs,scarlet hermit crabs,peppermint shrimps,blue leg hermit,brittle starfish,cernith snails.everybody has there own opinion on crabs they need to be watched the can go rogue.check on live aquaria they have packages or go to the live fish store(lfs)

I've got some scarlets, and, honestly, I think they're more cute than helpful (but they are awfully cute). Ceriths are OK, but for as large as their shells are, the snails themselves are quite small and don't really consume a whole lot. I'd have to say the most efficient members of my CUC (best appetite relative to size) would be my Astrea snails. Wherever they go, they leave nothing but clean behind them.....

I have two Scarlets and there always picking or scraping the rocks.i like the cernith snails cus they bury in the sand and help with fish poop. Not to exciting tho!!!!?

Thank you all for your advice! And that scarlet crab IS adorable! I'm headed to Hidden Reef and another aquarium storm in PA tomorrow to look around. Ill probably pick up some more snails and some crabs.

AbsoluteFaye said:
Thank you all for your advice! And that scarlet crab IS adorable! I'm headed to Hidden Reef and another aquarium storm in PA tomorrow to look around. Ill probably pick up some more snails and some crabs.

Nassarius to stir sand few turbos few ceriths serpent star

Back
Top Bottom