Brown algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chase35

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok I have had trouble with water params lately so to try to get them to come back to where they should be I did ALOT of water changes, cleaned everything in my sump (totally cleaned out), Vacummed substrate, took live rocks out put them in a bucket of old tank water and shook off all the detritus (probably not a good choice). Any way now I have this Brown algae growing on rocks, and substrate. just like what happened when I first got the tank. So is it possible that i cleaned to much to fast, and caused my tank to start the cycle all over again?:thanks:

Diatoms show up when there are silicates present. Im guessing when you removed your rock you stired up sand that hadnt been disturbed and this caused silicates that were trapped under the rock to be exposed to your water. Good news is diatoms will just die off in like a month. Try blowing them off rocks with a turkey baster and your filters will remove whats floating.

Back
Top Bottom