Brown Algae ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Needles15

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need help!! I'm pretty new to the saltwater world but I have a 6gal fluval edge tank.. With what I think is brown algae? I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it's killing me.. My tank is 5 weeks old ..All my tests are great, Sg is 1.023 .. My 2 clowns seem happy as can be, I have about 10 hermit crabs, skunk cleaner shrimp, and a snail.. How can I get rid of this!!?

It's diatom algae. It is 100% completely normal in almost all new fish tanks and will wear itself out over time.

If you want to try limiting it's growth I would start by reducing your light cycle to 6ish hours a day.

It's diatom algae. It is 100% completely normal in almost all new fish tanks and will wear itself out over time.

If you want to try limiting it's growth I would start by reducing your light cycle to 6ish hours a day.

Okay awesome!! Thank you so much! I will def try the lower lighting hours! And this change in the light time won't effect my 2 clowns?? I don't have any coral yet either..

Fish don't really need a light except maybe for feeding. The lights are more for us than anything.

Take a look at your feeding schedule. An increase in silicates can also yield diatomic algae. There is a product called a VORTEX D-1 diatom scrubber. It removes diatoms and an additional resin removes phosphates as well.
Good Luck!
D

I need help!! I'm pretty new to the saltwater world but I have a 6gal fluval edge tank.. With what I think is brown algae? I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it's killing me.. My tank is 5 weeks old ..All my tests are great, Sg is 1.023 .. My 2 clowns seem happy as can be, I have about 10 hermit crabs, skunk cleaner shrimp, and a snail.. How can I get rid of this!!?

These guys hit it right on the head. :) less light and less food for now.
I gake it the tank is very new? Few weeks or months old? Did u stary witb rodi water or tap?

Also, if you don't like it, you can scrub it off the walls with a mag cleaner, and off your rock with a soft (new and clean) toothbrush. Make sure you've got a filter running when you clean it off the rocks, it will cloud your water up. When I did it to mine, I put a 50 micron pad in the filter box to clean it up, and within 30 minutes, the water was crystal clear again.

I cleaned mine off about a week and a half ago and it has not made a repeat appearance (relatively new tank..2 months old).

Alright I've lowered my lighting hours and feed schedule and I can already notice a difference! And yes you are right it's a new tank, i used distilled water .. What is ro/di ?? im coming up on 6 wks, and my first step into salt water, which explains why i freaked a little when I seen it .. But thanks to your help I have this:

image-2126627260.jpg

Back
Top Bottom