Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Brown Algae ??

I need help!! I'm pretty new to the saltwater world but I have a 6gal fluval edge tank.. With what I think is brown algae? I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it's killing me.. My tank is 5 weeks old ..All my tests are great, Sg is 1.023 .. My 2 clowns seem happy as can be, I have about 10 hermit crabs, skunk cleaner shrimp, and a snail.. How can I get rid of this!!?

Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's diatom algae. It is 100% completely normal in almost all new fish tanks and will wear itself out over time.

If you want to try limiting it's growth I would start by reducing your light cycle to 6ish hours a day.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
It's diatom algae. It is 100% completely normal in almost all new fish tanks and will wear itself out over time.

If you want to try limiting it's growth I would start by reducing your light cycle to 6ish hours a day.
Okay awesome!! Thank you so much! I will def try the lower lighting hours! And this change in the light time won't effect my 2 clowns?? I don't have any coral yet either..
Old 07-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Fish don't really need a light except maybe for feeding. The lights are more for us than anything.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Take a look at your feeding schedule. An increase in silicates can also yield diatomic algae. There is a product called a VORTEX D-1 diatom scrubber. It removes diatoms and an additional resin removes phosphates as well.
Good Luck!
D
Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles15 View Post
I need help!! I'm pretty new to the saltwater world but I have a 6gal fluval edge tank.. With what I think is brown algae? I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it's killing me.. My tank is 5 weeks old ..All my tests are great, Sg is 1.023 .. My 2 clowns seem happy as can be, I have about 10 hermit crabs, skunk cleaner shrimp, and a snail.. How can I get rid of this!!?
These guys hit it right on the head. less light and less food for now.
I gake it the tank is very new? Few weeks or months old? Did u stary witb rodi water or tap?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, if you don't like it, you can scrub it off the walls with a mag cleaner, and off your rock with a soft (new and clean) toothbrush. Make sure you've got a filter running when you clean it off the rocks, it will cloud your water up. When I did it to mine, I put a 50 micron pad in the filter box to clean it up, and within 30 minutes, the water was crystal clear again.

I cleaned mine off about a week and a half ago and it has not made a repeat appearance (relatively new tank..2 months old).
Old 07-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright I've lowered my lighting hours and feed schedule and I can already notice a difference! And yes you are right it's a new tank, i used distilled water .. What is ro/di ?? im coming up on 6 wks, and my first step into salt water, which explains why i freaked a little when I seen it .. But thanks to your help I have this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2126627260.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	185095

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com