Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2015, 09:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm new to saltwater aquariums. Just start my 55gal tank this past October. I had the same problem with brown algae. I increased water changes and watched over feeding. That still didn't help. I did some research and purchased seachem denitrate and phosguard. I purchased a 4 stage uv canister for $80 and made my own media canister filter. After 1 week the algae started to go away. I also purchased 6 snails and I haven't had to scrub my tank at all. My tank readings have been very consistent now.
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8.0

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
So what you are saying if I'm reading correctly is that you had nitrate and phosphate issues, and these are what fueled your algae problem. If you started an aquarium in October, I would imagine your tank went through the same ugly stage as every tank on the planet. It's a normal thing to have a diatom bloom come pretty quickly and then disappear once it's food source is depleted.
Something like this happening a year in is a different story. Overfeeding and insufficient nutrient export is usually the culprit, but it can also be brought on by poor source water, impurities in your salt mix... etc.
A UV light is not going to help with this.
Phosphate and nitrate reducing media may remove the symptoms of the issue, but I suggest correcting the problem instead of just being happy with zeroes on your test kits. A healthy tank has no need of nitrate/phosphate reducing media.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I now have it under control with more frequent water changes and a better feeding cycle. I went into panic mode because of the diatoms. [
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420415026.008996.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	259971ATTACH]259971[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Congrats looks great, I thought about adding a canister filter with media control to augment the sump. I think you made up my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-18-2015, 07:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

This is awesome I am having the same problem and it is driving me crazy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have done water changes, tested water for bot phosphate and nitrate levels. Both are very very low and the growth seems to have slowed down but still creeping up on me. I have also taken out thr rock out and scrubbed off algae in the change water. So at this point I am looking at my RODI water, maybe that is my issue?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tags
algae, brown, brown algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com