Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
okay the reverse osmosis i have been told to me before, was hoping i wouldnt have to take that step due to not having a ton of money at the moment
IMHO, this is a huge part of the solution. Using high quality RO/DI water will go along way in correcting this problem. There are many affordable units on ebay, or check out our sponsors area as well. It is an investment that your tank will love. I also like www.thefilterguys.biz

As mentioned, NO3 and PO4 levels should be tested in both the tank and the source water in order to rule-out those issuses.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I guess I will be the voice of opposition on the purple up..STOP using it...if you are doing regular PWCs..(with or without ro/di) you are putting enough trace elements back into the tank. The purple up is just overloading your system with more then it needs. It is not as great as your LFS may have made you think.

The others have given the same advice as I would. You really need, as Kurt said, some good test kits. I use API and have a couple Saliferts too.

Roka, asked a good question, how old are the bulbs in your lights? PC bulbs should be replaced every 6-8 months IMO.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

the bulbs are around that old ...roughly 8 months id say. i was thinking about metal halid lighting...would this be a better option? also......today, my tank turned a dingy yellow.....its the water, i gotta get to the pet store asap....im really in a pinch right now
Old 04-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm...I would say test water parameters ASAP. Do a 25% water change and run some fresh GAC or Chemi-pure to help clear the water. Change out any filter pads as well.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:03 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ditto what Lando said!! New GAC (should be replaced weekly anyway) and clean out all those pads! If you have sponges get rid of them. You could do MH lighting but for now I would get the tank under control and then upgrade!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I recently had the same problem only I was fighting brown hair algea that had taken over my tank. My LFS sold me some stuff called SAT which is made by TLC aquarium & pond. It is a bacteria that feeds off the same things that the algea eat. It took about 2 weeks and I have NO visible hair algea at all. This stuff works! Reef safe as well. Contact your LSF and ask them to order you some.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:05 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

alright thanks guys!...im going to go out this weekend and see what i can get for what little money i have right now. test kit, salt, and more snails? i only have around 5 now...if that, they seem to dissapear on me (not even being able to find the shell!)

Tags
algae, brown algae, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com