Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Brown algae taking over...

I have a 125 gallon tank that has been set up for about a month. I have lights for reef, under tank wet/dry filter and a skimmer. In the last couple days brown algae is growing like crazy on the sand bed. I can blend it in and in a 2-3 hours it is back again. I have Damsels, bicolor angel and a trigger and about 50 pounds of rock which about 15 of that is live rock. How can I get rid of the algae? ph 8.2, no ammonia, gravity is 1.23. Also, how long until I see some growth on live rock? Thanks!!!!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have that 2

Old 11-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

So, is this normal?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like diatoms, which would be pretty normal for a new tank. Dusty brown = diatoms. Slimy brownish-red = cyano, and is a very bad and NOT normal thing. But I'm thinking it's probably diatoms.

Give it time and it will burn itself out. I'd normally suggest a cleanup crew of snails to eat it up for you, but I'm afraid your Trigger would make a snack of them.

Seems like a lot of fish in the tank already for just one month. Tank was cycled... right?

Coralline on live rock will take a while, and depends a lot on your calcium/alkalinity numbers. But I'd say 4-6 months and you should see some good growth.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice, by the way!

(P.S. This section of the forum is where folks normally post their "New Acquisitions" as in "... things I'm showing off that are new to me." I know the algae is new to you (!) but that's not really what people look for here. Plus this area doesn't get much traffic. You might get more feedback from folks if you post in the "Reef Aquaria", "FOWLR", or "Getting Started" sections. Those seem to be the well-traveled areas of the site.)
Old 11-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for your help. I have cycled the water. Also I do have snails and some hermits. I think the Trigger is to small yet to mess with them. He is funny to watch though, he's like a puppy. I've noticed he likes to keep and eye on a shrimp in the tank. Won't be as fun when he gets bigger and decides to "play" with the shrimp....
Old 11-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

How long do you leave your lights on daily? This could also be a cause of having lights on too long.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to getting started SW forum.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I leave the 10,000 k light on for about 8 hours a day. I have a softer light (don't know what it is) that stays on for about 10.

Tags
algae, brown algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com