Brown algae then green, is it ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what's a good brand that you suggest? i've been buying aquarium supplies from LFS the selection is very limited, lately i've been looking online too

Personally... I think API is a great value for the basics like ph, ammonia, nitrites, and even nitrates if you're not picky about detecting small levels of it. Regarding the ammonia in your new water, as dskidmore suggested, it could just be as simple as a bad or expired test kit. It happens from time to time on all the brands. Or it could be that the LFS's water is not as pristine as they think. That's why I'm hesitant on buying water from a LFS - I can't control the process. Doing it at home, I'm 100% in control... good or bad! Maybe you can take the sample in to some other fish store and have them test it, and watch to see the actual values.

Ok i just tested my RO filtered water with the API kit, it appears brown yellow so the test kit is accurate. but that's freshwater straight out of my RO filter system. not sure what happens when i mix salt with it. could be the API isn't good for saltwater?

Most kits that are good with saltwater specifically say. They may have alternate directions or color charts for use with saltwater. There should be a paper insert in the box, read the whole thing, not just the basic instructions.

could be the API isn't good for saltwater?

API ammonia kits are good for both fresh and saltwater. Just make sure you're using the correct color chart for whatever you're testing - there is one color chart for freshwater, and one for saltwater. The color for "0.0" on the saltwater color chart really doesn't exist on the freshwater color chart, so I'm not sure what you're really seeing in your fresh water. Zero for freshwater is a clear, bright yellow.

I just came home and did another test on my tank, here are the results

ammonia 0 / nitrate 0 / nitrite 0

Yes i used the correct color charts for fresh and salt, fresh water result was bright clear yellow. and for the tank water, it's kind of dark yellow creamy looking, not as clear.

so i guess my tank is getting better? I cleaned the algae off the tank wall last night and it hasn't come back today at all, but there's alot of bubbles trapped on the live rocks and sand, possibly due to the algae.

i'm thinking if the new filters that i'm using has anything to do with it.

The chemicals you are using in the filter do remove nitrogen compounds from the water, but I still don't think they are going to be a long term good idea.

Back
Top Bottom