Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Brown algea growing

Hi my tank is cycling and it's day 7 since I've put in my live rock, the rock has turned a purple colour but there is brown algea on the glass and the rock a little bit, is this normal or should I use purple up or something? The ammonia has spiked and is now gradually lowering everyday

Old 04-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes it is diatom algea. No need to add anything. You just have to wait it out. You will see a ammonia spike which starts the cycle, then bacteria will eat it off to nitrite, then to nitrate. When u get to the nitrate it has finished the main cycle. Then you can do a partial water change and introduce a clean up crew. You can see that brown algea breakout in your tank for up to a year or so. Make sure you test your water parameters with a reef master kit. Test for phosphates, high phosphate levels feed algea.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeh the ammonia has dropped down to 0.50ppm now but the nitrite's are off the scale so she is cycling sweet, and yeh I'll just have to wait the brown algae out

Tags
algea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com