Brown algea growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom-tom

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi my tank is cycling and it's day 7 since I've put in my live rock, the rock has turned a purple colour but there is brown algea on the glass and the rock a little bit, is this normal or should I use purple up or something? The ammonia has spiked and is now gradually lowering everyday

Yes it is diatom algea. No need to add anything. You just have to wait it out. You will see a ammonia spike which starts the cycle, then bacteria will eat it off to nitrite, then to nitrate. When u get to the nitrate it has finished the main cycle. Then you can do a partial water change and introduce a clean up crew. You can see that brown algea breakout in your tank for up to a year or so. Make sure you test your water parameters with a reef master kit. Test for phosphates, high phosphate levels feed algea.

Yeh the ammonia has dropped down to 0.50ppm now but the nitrite's are off the scale so she is cycling :) sweet, and yeh I'll just have to wait the brown algae out

Back
Top Bottom