Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2003, 04:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
Brown algea maybe??????

I have a tank that has been set up for 6 weeks and has some damsels in it and 40 pounds of live rock. It has about 4 inches of crushed coral and is 65 gallons. The top of the crushed coral is starting to turn a light brown color. Barely noticable. Is this brown algea and if it is what do i do. I hear that brown algea is not good at all. At least that is what i understand. Please help me you guys have been wonderful in the past

Thanks
BRNDFRB

Old 08-21-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds like diatoms, which are a perfectly natural part of your cycle, steel yourself, they will get worse before they get better. They tend to crash after a few weeks, when all the silicates in the system are used up, they will always be there, since you are always adding silicates to your system, through topoff and waterchanges, but the worst is the first bloom. Once they have crashed, stirring the sand, wiping the glass and snails will be the best way to remove it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Brown algae is very common in newer tanks..what did you use to fill the tank? Alot of times, if the tank is filled with tap water, brown algae will develope. Using RO/DI water for water changes will help clear it up. Also, some snails such as astreas and nassarius will help get ritd of it. Brown isn't really bad... its the red slimy stuff you gotta worry about (cyano algae)
Old 08-21-2003, 05:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
i have 2 nassarius snails already. Is there any other ones that i can get just to make sure it stays under control? I probably need more that two anyways. But the two that i have stay on the glass all of teh time. They are never on the bottom. Is there a snail that stays mainly on the bottom?
Old 08-21-2003, 10:59 PM   #5
steve-s

In a 65 gal tank you will most like need more snails if/as you add fish and other waste producing animals but as the tank is still young they will run out of food quickly. Start small and add as needed later on. For now though a good mix of 20-25 cerith, nerite and turbo snails would be good for the algaes. Adding a few more nassarius will also be good for the sandbed.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
algea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com