brown collare/pakistani butterfly - bad choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toadery

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got sucked into buying this guy b/c he was on sale, and the really nice colours of course. but will this guy prevent me from getting a soft coral reef going? will he attack inverts? If anyone knows any other bad companions for this guy, please let me know.

so far he has been eating the frozen food readily, and is quite comfortable after 3 days..

TIA
russ

Welcome to AA :wave:
From what I've read, they are a threat to stoney corals and small inverts. Don't know about the soft corals but I wouldn't risk it. Says they are great in a fish only system. Good luck with your new fish.

For a 90 gal, you still have quite a few choices. The Redtail Bfly is a fairly hardy fish and will even tolerate being mixed with it's own species given enough room. Generally speaking the larger the system and live rock available the less likely they are to go after corals. In a 90 gal tank though I think your stuck. Soft corals would be the most "resiliant" if picked on but as Fluff pointed out, any LPS/SPS would most likely not fair well.

Which fish shoppe did you get it from?

Cheers
Steve

thanks for the help.

i'm prettymuch limited to soft corals anyway, given my lighting situation, and so far there has been no conflict between him and the small shrimpies. he is still enjoying life in his new tank after just over a week.
i picked him up, unfortunately, at big al's in richmond. i'm not a fan of the US big boxes, but like i said, i got sucked into the sale. usually i go down to aquariums west, as they are all nice despite being a little more expensive.

here's the lil'guy http://www.supa.ca/photos/img_0241.jpg

russ

Beautiful fish!

toadery said:
usually i go down to aquariums west, as they are all nice despite being a little more expensive.
A little... hehe :p Kreig and Mike still there?

I would suggest you take a trip out to J&L Aquatics. They are in Burnaby and the Brighton Skytrain station is literally right across the street. Usually takes about 15-20 min to get there from Downtown. The price difference and product options is stageringly different than what you've seen around locally. They also have free delivery for the lower mainland on orders over $50.00

http://jlaquatics.com/

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom