Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Brown discoloration in sand

What's causing it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture_015_212.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	1795   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture_014_153.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1796  

Osalcido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I think it's Diatoms. Have you checked your Phosphate level? What kind of water do you use, tap or RO/DI? What is your feeding schedule? Type of lighting? Any info would be very helpful.

BTW Welcome to AA! Good to see a fellow Texan on the board!

BDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for the welcome :P

I only check nitrates nitrites ammonia and ph

I'll go look for a phosphate tester tomorrow thanks
Osalcido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
New tank? If so, diatoms are part of the process. Keep water paramters stable and they'll more than likely go away on their own. I had two blooms in the beginning, but now my crabs and snails polish off any brown specks that appear.
30 gal standard 55 lbs LR, 60 lb live sand, 10 gal sump/refugium. Urchin skimmer, mag7 pump, 3 x 96W PC combination 10,000K/actinic bulb, 2 blue LED moonlights
SG 1.024, temp 79.5, pH 8.4

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Diatoms are caused by silicates unlike other nuisance algaes. As stated abaove they are normal in new tanks and will burn off on there own. If you are anxious you can get a cleanup crew if cycling is complete to help.
Vote for AquariumAdvice

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
i have the same thing and i just set up my tank in february... should i worry about scrubbing it off my live rocks or just get it off my equipment and get a better more snails and crabs? also whats the difference between diatoms and cyano or are they one in the same? and one more question is there any filter media that will help with this that i can buy?
Jonathan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
What is Brown or Golden Algae?
Referred to as a microalgae, brown or golden algae is actually not an algae at all, but diatoms. What you are actually seeing in your tank are diatom skeletons, all linked together. It can appear as a simple dusting on the tank walls and substrate surfaces, or it can turn into a massive growth that covers just about everything in the tank. This type of algae outbreak typically occurs when a tank is just completing or has finished the nitrogen cycling process, new live rock is introduced, as the curing process can add nutrients when some organisms on the rock dies off, or tank maintenance has been neglected. It is a normal occurrence, as diatoms are one of the first to appear in the chain when the tank conditions are conducive for algae growth, and is usually a precursor to other forms of desirable and undesirable nuisance type green macroalgae. http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/alg...a/aa091100.htm

Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote

discoloration, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com