Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
brown jelly disease

hi. i've asked this on a few other forums, and am still not satisfied with the response.
what causes brown jelly disease in LPS like torch/frogspawn/hammer?
what are known remedies?
how about preventative maintenance?

thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
As far as I understand it... brown jelly is caused first from trauma to the tissue of the coral. Either from a fish/invert or from handling. Once the tissue injury is there, the infection results when/if tiny little protozoans can get to it before the damage heals. Once the protozoan infects, it can spread quickly and digest the tissue. The protozoans also excrete some sort of digestive enzyme, which is why the jelly can spread to other parts of the coral, or other corals, and damage those as well.

Remedies... I've heard simply taking it out and brushing off the jelly may work, some people do FW dips or lugols dips as well.

Preventative maintence... don't have coral nippers in your tank and secure all corals well so they don't fall or get bumped into?

Hope this helps.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Lindsay on her explanation. I have found that it`s best to just break off the infected parts and discard esp. if a branching coral. I had an instance happen with my branching hammer coral and I broke the infected heads off and it is flourishing today. Here is a pic of the infection and what it looks like today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1573.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	13332

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0329.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	13333
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
thanks alot.
the story goes- my frogs and hammers were doing fine....a friend had some with BJD, and he was losing heads quickly...so he asked me to put them in my tank, to see if they did any better.
they did. they healed up after losing another head or so.
i read somewhere that dosing vitamin c possibly could help, so i also did that.
i don't know what it was that arrested the BJD, but as for the cause- i never asked him what he thought the problem was caused by. i know that he had the corals for some time, and they weren't recently moved either. i'm guessing it was something picking at them.
i recently sold some of my old colonies, and replaced them with different ones, and those were the ones that got BJD as well. i'm guessing it was the stress of the move.

thanks again for the detailed info!

Tags
disease

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Moving | diatom »