Brown Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canadianmaple

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my 150gallon running for about 6 months so far. I currently only have a lionfish, a couple of sea urchins and a mexican snail. I am having problems cleaning my sand. It seems to have this brownish colour on top and nearing the bottom it turns to an almost yellowish colour. My water quality checks out ok and I even have baby feather dusters starting to grow on my rocks and glass :).

I do weekly 40-50% water changes using RO water. I am not sure if the brownish colour is from lack of flow or from cleaning my sand too lightly.

Any tips would be great. Thank you.

From what I've been told they might be diatoms. I have them also I added a diamond goby and in certian areas he has already ready started cleaning the sand up.

As I stated before I have a lionfish...so anything small like a goby will be fish food...unless you know of species that come in large sizes

canadianmaple said:
As I stated before I have a lionfish...so anything small like a goby will be fish food...unless you know of species that come in large sizes

Sorry I was looking a dwarf lions today just stuck that size

Back
Top Bottom