Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

brown spots in new tank!

Hello iv had a new SW tank running for about 4-5 weeks not with about 37 lb of live rock... two demels and two clows... demels I heard was a great fish to start out with but pretty aggresive. The two clows surprisingly don't seem to mind eachother. But it seems like this is too much for a newly running tank? I just was givin the clows on the spare of the moment and didn't have anywhwere else to put them! Anyways, recently iv upgraded the lighting to a four bulber and put in two power heads which I might think are way too much current so they are both turned to give half the power... they are a 50 and 70 aquaclear heads... iv noticed brownish spots all in substrate as well as the glass near the sand bed. And some shown on the live rock. Its a brownish/yellow dirty tint and I was wondering if this was just a normal process or is something bad happening! I will check water levels with the few test I have when I get home and update the tanks and my progress! Please help me out with what u think it could be!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your in no trouble, most likely this is just a sign that your tank is actually cycled! You may see it on some rocks the sand and even on your glass.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are just diatoms, just part of the tank's maturing process. They will go away just as fast as they came. As for the damsels, they will get pretty aggressive so you may want to think about taking them back to wherever you got them. Don't add anything for a bit and let the tank stabilize for a while.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks guys.... I'm relieved that this is most likely not a problem... I also was settting up a refugium on an other tank that my sister in law gave me and can't figure out how to get the water flowing threw the u hose or from the overflow to the sump??? I can't get it or ANY sciphons going at that... is there a special technique???
Old 02-12-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

make sure you have both overflow boxes full of water,push an air hose up the u tube and suck the air out,keep filling the boxes while doing this,dont worry about the last bit of air as this will be pushed out of the tube when the flow is running
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks! After a few trys I got it!! About how long is this browness going to happen? Seems like its just getting worse... notice it more on the glass and stuff now
Old 02-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the diatoms will go away once there food source is depleted. something in the water is feeding it. do a few water changes, you could try silicate and phosphate removing media. i have the same problem right now. i was dumb and used tap water though.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

What do u mean you used tap water?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I used tap water instead of ro water. Tap water bad. Will cause algea outbreaks. If your using tap, that is your problem
Old 02-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well seeing as i don't have an RO machine or can afford one. What's another or cheaper alternative???!

Tags
brown spots, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com