Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-22-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
"Brown Stuff" on cured live rock...

Hey all...so ive had my 55 gal set-up with 45 lbs lr...and have been checking the water parameters routinely and i was just about ready to buy a small clean-up crew (scarlet hermits and snails and such)....but ive started to notice a large amount of light brown "stuff" on the live rock!!! its pretty loose material....usually swirls all around when i do water changes and such....im assuming this is just detritous waste from the curing live rock...is it??? should i be concerned about it....there is a lot of it covering the lr....will a clean-up crew take care of that waste, whatever it is???

"tanks" alot

mfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
brown algae, its normal for a newly cycled tank should burn itself out over time

hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
They are actually diatoms. Completely normal for a cycling tank. They will go away on their own, as mentioned, as soon as the tank catches up in bacteria to kill them. Don't be surprised if they all disspear within a days time. Your clean up crew may or may not touch the stuff...

As long as your tank is cycled, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, preferably less than 10 nitrate you can add the clean up crew.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
thanks guys!! ill chaeck the water once more tomorrow before i buy any critters to make sure! so far, its been holding at 0 ammonia, o nitrite, and very low nitrate

knock on wood, the cycle wasnt at all a problem

"tanks" alot!!
mfed is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com