"Brown Stuff" on cured live rock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all...so ive had my 55 gal set-up with 45 lbs lr...and have been checking the water parameters routinely and i was just about ready to buy a small clean-up crew (scarlet hermits and snails and such)....but ive started to notice a large amount of light brown "stuff" on the live rock!!! its pretty loose material....usually swirls all around when i do water changes and such....im assuming this is just detritous waste from the curing live rock...is it??? should i be concerned about it....there is a lot of it covering the lr....will a clean-up crew take care of that waste, whatever it is???

"tanks" alot
Mike

brown algae, its normal for a newly cycled tank should burn itself out over time

They are actually diatoms. Completely normal for a cycling tank. They will go away on their own, as mentioned, as soon as the tank catches up in bacteria to kill them. Don't be surprised if they all disspear within a days time. Your clean up crew may or may not touch the stuff...

As long as your tank is cycled, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, preferably less than 10 nitrate you can add the clean up crew.

thanks guys!! ill chaeck the water once more tomorrow before i buy any critters to make sure! so far, its been holding at 0 ammonia, o nitrite, and very low nitrate

knock on wood, the cycle wasnt at all a problem :lol: :D

"tanks" alot!!
Mike

Back
Top Bottom