Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Brown stuff on sand and rocks

I have a 55 gal. salt tank and im new and a lill dumb. Ok PH is 7.8 NITRITE NO3 is 10 AMMONIA is 2 and NITRITE NO2 0.50. I have brown or rust colored stuff on the sand and rocks,how do i stop it and will it hurt the fish.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Look at your thread under "Getting started" then go down about six threads and you will see brown spots in new tank!

You will see some answers there

Old 02-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #3

Thanks i need all the help i can get. I got the tank and it was all set up not much maint. in a while but Ive had it running four about 4 weeks and just put in fish and crabs four days ago,so i kind of freak out on the brown stuff. I think my numbers are high should i do like 10% water 2X a week?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #4

Sounds like diatoms, they should go away on their own in time. What are you parameters?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the ammonia and nitrite are hurting the fish, not the diatom outbreak. did you cycle this tank before adding the livestock?

i would do some large water changes to get that ammonia and nitrite to undetectable levels ASAP.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #6

Yes i had it up and running 4 weeks before i added fish, going to do 20% water change, today should i do it again in 2 or 3 days? and i just treated for ick i used Mardel CopperSafe a 2 days ago.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
well, i believe the ich is showing up because the fish are stressed from the ammonia.
you know that you won't be able to keep inverts in this tank any more since you added copper, right? that live rock will leach it out for a long time.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Oh man! Another soul who was probably told to set up a tank and let it run for a few weeks before adding fish. I'm sorry that happened to you. More sorry for the fish in your tank who are going thru this cycling with high ammonia and nitrite levels.

Read up on cycling a tank. You'll see that it is hard on fish. Very hard. Look at our articles section and read about fishless cycling.

Now that you've added copper, pls belive what MrX told you above. Inverts (crabs, shrimp, starfish, coral, anenomes) will not live in that tank. I'd use it as a quarantine/hospital tank for new fish arrivals or sick fish and get a new tank, rock and sand and start over. Be more informed, and don't give in to being "new or a lill dumb" before you spend your money. You'll enjoy it a lot more

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Oh man! Another soul who was probably told to set up a tank and let it run for a few weeks before adding fish. I'm sorry that happened to you. More sorry for the fish in your tank who are going thru this cycling with high ammonia and nitrite levels.

Read up on cycling a tank. You'll see that it is hard on fish. Very hard. Look at our articles section and read about fishless cycling.

Now that you've added copper, pls belive what MrX told you above. Inverts (crabs, shrimp, starfish, coral, anenomes) will not live in that tank. I'd use it as a quarantine/hospital tank for new fish arrivals or sick fish and get a new tank, rock and sand and start over. Be more informed, and don't give in to being "new or a lill dumb" before you spend your money. You'll enjoy it a lot more
I guess i will kill a friend, and im doing a 20 gal change should i do more and when? and i will buy a new 55 gal and start over, after the cycle is done on a new set up will it be ok to move my fish in to it?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #10

I would recommend doing a Partial water change every day to keep the nitrites and ammonia down until they are not present in the aquarium, this will hopefully keep the fish alive enough for the tank to cycle.

Tags
rock, rocks, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com