Brush LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyB

Aquarium Advice Regular
I Got 70 lbs of LR from Tampa Bay Saltwater and I got a ammonia spike that is just starting to come down . I was wonderinng if I should have brushed the rock of first to get some of the dieoff off the rock. Do you think it would hurt anything to brush it now.

Is the tank new and are you using the rock to cycle it? Brushing it now will only cause more die off. You could however rinse it in a bucket of tank water to swish it around.. If you are just now cycling the tank then the amm is a good thing.

No the tank was cycled for about 3 weeks I had about 30 lbs of LR from LFS. Then added the 70 lbs. The next day I started to notice the ammonia spike it got up to .50 ppm and the nitrite was at .50 ppm nitrate 20. Right now 4 days later my amm is around .35 nitrite .25 nitrate 40. I did a 15 gallon change the day after I added the rock and I will be doing a 10 gallon change tomorrow. I wil check tomorrow after work but it looks like the spike is on its way down. Anyone got any pointers.

Back
Top Bottom