Bryson's 75G Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesertDweller

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, Im going to use this thread to document my first reef build. I made the decision to go for it and start researching a few months ago and have been reading AA non stop since.

Ok, well I first decided on a tank. I thought a 55 would be nice and when I found one on Craigslist I jumped on it. Here it is, still dirty but holds water. I thought initially an open sump would be a good idea.
img_1717958_0_ceba6f4a66422edc1f3fe2016b1876b7.jpg

So I started planning a 55g reef, but didnt like the depth front to back and started to think a cabinet stand would be a better idea. Just so happens that in the beginning of Dec my LFS had a blowout sale and I scored this. An Aqueon 75G tank undrilled with stand. I know being compulsive in the pet store isnt a good idea, but what can I say. Wifes face was priceless when I walked in the door with another one. The 55 sold pretty quick on Craigslist and I broke even on it....phew
img_1717958_1_851393e8b966958f6fd6e7447a6f1b0c.jpg

Now the planning comes. Forums are amazing for that. I worked in a LFS shortly after high school while going to college in the late 90s and wow, things have changed. Fluval was the end all be all back then and possibly accompanied by bio balls somewhere heh, I sold so many of those....refugium skimmer combo is the way Im going now.

Ok so....issue. I dont like the stand. It just doesnt instill confidence. Im sure it would be ok, but I can do better. So next project, the stand. Here it is about halfway finished. Two large cabinet doors will cover the front, and painted black. I considered stain, but the cabinet doors are a recycle off an old project and wont take stain unless I want to refinish them.....we'll see. But stand should be done in a couple days.
img_1717958_2_810999b96de6762f570c7856d004f789.jpg

Good news is that my LFS agreed to take the old stand back in exchange for credit. Cool......was going to need to buy salt and a heater anyway.

Next I decided drilling was the way to go. So I ordered a 1500gph dual drain from gl@ss-holes.com as well as a 3/4" return. I dont plan on running the return pump more than 700 but having dual drains gives piece of mind.
img_1717958_3_a368e37d55263e97c2c6efbaf01134f3.jpg

img_1717958_4_81d53b92e3a4266bcd6eb4cfb8e84552.jpg

Drilling really was a piece of cake, just open up the fun dip that comes with your overflow and crack a beer.

Finally I ran across a great candidate for a QT on craigslist and brought it home tonight
img_1717958_5_604e5d9cfdf907a5486f80be40c7f779.jpg

I scored a Reef Octopus Extreme 160 for christmas that is going into a 20 long sump refugium which reminds me, I need to call the glass store for the baffles. Im in no rush and am taking my time on this one. But I'll post here when I have updates or questions. Thanks for looking.

Nice. I'll be following along. If you haven't bought lighting, rock, or substrate I'd recommend to buy a 4 bulb t5ho from fishneedit.com and with that you should be able to grow LPS and Leathers. When you want SPS I'd order another 2 bulb t5HO from them. For rock I'd say go 20% liverock then 80% base. reefcleaners.org has good rock and it costs $105 for a 50lb box. reefrocks.net also has very good rock for $85 and it's also 50lbs. Every additional lb is $2 and it's free shipping. They also have 40lbs of washed Bahama reef sand for $15. That's just my 2¢ lol

I would first decide what you intend to keep.
If you are expecting to keep a lot of sps, I would go with an 8 lamp T5 HO unit and be done with it. I like TEK fixtures from sunlight supply.

For rock I'd say go 20% liverock then 80% base. reefcleaners.org has good rock and it costs $105 for a 50lb box.

As for the rock, I really like the look of Pukani dry from BRS. I want to incorporate some of that along with some nice shelf rock from somewhere. I'll order some premium live rock to seed the whole thing. Should I cycle the dry while Im QT'ing the live tock?

mr_x said:
I would first decide what you intend to keep.
If you are expecting to keep a lot of sps, I would go with an 8 lamp T5 HO unit and be done with it. I like TEK fixtures from sunlight supply.

I want it all. I've been looking at 6-8 lamp T5HO with LEDs. I've also been looking at the Apollo 16 LED system, but that is a bit more than I want to spend and Im not quite sure if one would be enough for the whole tank. Tax returns are in a month so I may start the cycle with a few old reptile bulbs across the top for the time being and pick up the light when the returns come in

I think the next purchase Im going to make is the RO/DI and reservoir. Any suggestions would be great. I have 200 budgeted for the two, is that possible?

DesertDweller said:
I think the next purchase Im going to make is the RO/DI and reservoir. Any suggestions would be great. I have 200 budgeted for the two, is that possible?

Here's an RO/DI for $110 but I'm sure Carey has a link for one that's cheaper. I just cant find it http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004N7QUXW/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Edit:
Found the link for the cheaper one. Only $65 http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=380341933047&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=64054568785

You don't need any light to start a cycle. As a matter of fact, i would not run lighting during a cycle. All that will do is fuel algae.

Back
Top Bottom