BT anemone!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reef-master003

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anybody give me some tips and pointers on how to maintain a small bubble tip anemone?

Did you get one already?
If you haven't please rethink the purchase. Clownfish do not need an anemone.

If you have one already, maintain pristine water conditions and make sure it has plenty of light. It's food intake will be whatever it grabs from the water column that floats into it or is dropped into it by fish.

I started off with a small one, which has now turned into 2. One of them I about the size of a soccer ball now, and the other one isn't much smaller. I have only had them about 6 months, but I feed mine small pieces of silversides once a week. Also the 2 clowns I have stay in both anemones.

Anemones use a tremendous amount of energy to consume food. Feeding pieces that are too large is a common problem. Feeding too often is a problem. Splitting may be a sign of distress.

As for housing a BTA in a home aquarium, "The disc of occasional specimens may grow to over a foot across, and these can develop tentacles that are several inches long, too. So, they can potentially take up a whole lot of room in a tank."

They also require strong lighting.

Of all the anemone's the BTA is probably the safest choice for a home aquarium IF you feel you must have one. If that's the case, please look for a captive raised specimen.
How big is your tank?
How long has it been running?
What is your lighting?
What else is in the tank.

cmor1701d said:
Anemones use a tremendous amount of energy to consume food. Feeding pieces that are too large is a common problem. Feeding too often is a problem. Splitting may be a sign of distress.

As for housing a BTA in a home aquarium, "The disc of occasional specimens may grow to over a foot across, and these can develop tentacles that are several inches long, too. So, they can potentially take up a whole lot of room in a tank."

They also require strong lighting.

Of all the anemone's the BTA is probably the safest choice for a home aquarium IF you feel you must have one. If that's the case, please look for a captive raised specimen.
How big is your tank?
How long has it been running?
What is your lighting?
What else is in the tank.

How often should I feed them? Do you think a quarter of an inch piece is too large? That is what I have been giving mine. It split shortly after I got it and has seemed to be doing good (as far as I can tell) ever since.

Mincing the fish would be best. Take that quarter inch piece, mince it and drop the pieces in. That would be a lot of food at one feeding, so use that amount for both of them. I would not feed more than once a week, and once a month should be fine. They are still getting food from the water current.

It's a nano with about 72 watts of compact fluorescent lighting,it's been running for about 4 years.it houses one true percula clown and 3 turbo snails and about 20 pounds of live rock

Back
Top Bottom