Bta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I got a new large bubble tip anemone today. About an hour after it was put in it began to move back into the rocks. Now it has about 30% of it out in the light and the rest is in the rocks. When I got my other bubble tip anemone a couple of years ago it never went into the rocks. Is this normal?

I have become a bit worried as he has attached to my pump this is how I lost my other one it got sucked in. This time as a precaution I put some fish net mesh over the inlets of the pump. I hope he comes of it. What I find a little weird though is he is holding onto the pump with his tentacles not his foot. Here's a photo (sorry it isnt the best) Please help I'm worried as he's a beautiful anemone

Attachments

• image-924754524.jpg
    image-924754524.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 99
Well I would get him off the pump he will most certainly hate it there... Anemones will move until they find a comfortable spot and they need to acclimate to a change in lighting

I'm worried to move him. I don't want anything to happen to him. I don't even no how he got up there and he's holding on with his tentacles not his foot.

That's fine to move him then.. And I'm sure he's being sucked onto it rather than "holding" on with his tentacles. If he liked it there his foot would be planted there. But it's your tank so do what you feel is best.

Do you think it would be bad to see if he moves by himself by the morning. It's 11:30pm here now

Shut off the pump and leave it alone. It will untangle itself eventually. Something is not ideal in your tank for it to move all over the place like it's doing.

Shut off the pump and leave it alone. It will untangle itself eventually. Something is not ideal in your tank for it to move all over the place like it's doing.

It was just introduced today. I'm worried about turning it off as its the only pump in the tank as its only a 30 gallon tank

Either that or you are going to kill your anemone. Go out and buy another power head.
When you add an anemone, it should not want to float all over the place.
Check your parameters, and try not to blast it with light immediately.

Either that or you are going to kill your anemone. Go out and buy another power head.
When you add an anemone, it should not want to float all over the place.
Check your parameters, and try not to blast it with light immediately.

Ok ill turn off the pump and wait there a bit to see what it does. The parameters are
PH-8.0
KH-9
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10ppm
Calcium-450-480ppm
Temp-25.7 C

It's 11:40pm here I can't get another one

This is how it has positioned itself

Attachments

• image-4229265647.jpg
    image-4229265647.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 102
Maybe it will come loose before you go to bed. Truthfully, people always say to cover the power heads with mesh and stuff like that, but I feel if the anemone is making it up there in the first place, something isn't right in the tank.
Whenever I add an anemone, they seem to squeeze themselves between the rocks, and then slowly come back out. They might move a few inches here and there getting an ideal position, but not inflate and blow around.
In the wild they do this to move to a completely different location.

You obviously can't leave the power head off all night if it's the only flow you have in the entire tank. Your fish would probably suffocate.

Ok ill turn it off. Hopefully it doesn't take the mesh off with it. Just hope it will be ok. I temp acclimated it for 30 mins, then dripped it for 2.5 hours

What will I have to do if it doesn't come off and I need to go to sleep?

Good question. Do you have an old air pump with an airstone? You need water movement and oxygenation, but that anemone will not free itself with the pump running. It will just get deeper and deeper entangled in the pump.

Yes I do.

It doesn't seem to be entangled in the pump. In fact i think it may be moving a bit

It just seemed like its getting sucked on. No way it can get through the mesh.

Seems to be stretching out more

Attachments

• image-2774051106.jpg
    image-2774051106.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom