bubble maker in salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keitech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, everyone. Just wanted your expert advice a bit.

Does having a bubble maker inside a salt tank worthwhile for the fish? Or is it just going to cause much more complication for them?

Thanks,

Most here do not use air stones in SW tanks. They do not look natural and can bother fish and coral. Plus, the salt creep is horrible. Leave them out. If you are worried about O2 levels in the water just make sure you have plenty of surface aggitation by a powerhead or return tube from a sump.

Thank you. Yes, there is a lot of issue with salt creep. I will have to return it.

Thanks,

It's when the salt literally "creeps" out of the tank and ends up on the lid, intakes/returns, etc. I'm amazed at how fast salt can end up in places you wouldn't even think it could get to. There may be ways to minimize it, but I don't know them.

only water evaporates...salt is left behind. somehow water gets in weird places, adn leaves large salt crystals..referred to as salt creep.

does salt creep, or salt build up ever happen in the pvc pipes from the sump to the tank and visa versa?

Correct me if I am wrong, But doesnt a skimmer help out alot when it comes to oxygenization of the water?

RocketSeason said:
Correct me if I am wrong, But doesnt a skimmer help out alot when it comes to oxygenization of the water?
Not unless the flow in the tank is up to snuff and even then not as much as you might think. It will infuse some O2 to a degree but if water flow within the system is on the lower side, the O2 generated from foam fractioning will remain localized. The best method of gas exchange will always be surface aggitation.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom