bubble on atlantic blue tang's tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiprs

Aquarium Advice Activist
The tang is currently in QT with a yellow headed sleeper gobie and a orange diamond gobie. The pH and ammonia are good 8.2 and 0.0-0.25 respectivly. There is a lot of diatoms growing on everything, the tank sits infront of a window with direct sun. Oh and the tank size is 30 gal with a magnum 350 canister filter and one PH.

The two gobies look great, however the tang is another story.

His dorsal and anal fins look tattered along with his tail. The tail also appears to have a bubble looking thing attached to it. The bubble thing is clearish-brown and about this big ( 0 ) It is attached to the very back edge of the tail and kind of flares out where it is attached. Also on his side he has a brownish spot a little smaller than a dime in size.

He eats fine and looks health in everyother way. What can we do to make him look better? more frequent water changes, change carbon more than once a week, treat with something for infections. He only has one more week in QT but if he is not going to be healthy I do not want to add him to the display.

I may try to post a pic tomorrow but my camera has not been taking very good photos lately.

Thanks and sorry for the long post

whitetiprs said:
I may try to post a pic tomorrow but my camera has not been taking very good photos lately.
That could very well help.

Does the "bubble" look like it has fluid in it or more solid like a wart? Have you used any kind of treatment/meds up to this point?

Cheers
Steve

The "bubble" is clear but I can't tell if it is solid or fluid filled. No I have not used any treatments at this point other than water changes.

I will post the pic after I get home from work but I don't know how good it will be.

What it really remindes me of is bubble algae but clear if that helps.

Here are some pics.

The "bubble is still hard to see in the pics but it is there.

Attachments

• img_0245.jpg
    img_0245.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 90
  • img_0247.jpg
    img_0247.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 101
Your right, it is definately hard to see. I really can't make out what it could be. The only thing I can suggest is looking on the net for images relating to bacterial infections, Lymphocystis and the outside chance of an isopod.

You note pH and NH3 but how are the other numbers, NO2 & NO3? How often are you performing water changes? What foods/vitamins are you using?

Are you seeing any read marks/streaks on the fish anywhere on the fish or around the "bubble"?

Any additional info you can provide no matter how minor may help...

Cheers
Steve

Well I just did a water change about 13 gal so I do not have no2 and no3 numbers just yet.

We are feeding nori strips and some meaty foods like brine and mysid

I do not see any red marks but what I do see are patchy brownish-grey marks on his side and around one of his pectoral fins.

I will trying doing some searches for what you had suggested and let you know.

I was thinking of treating with para-gaurd by seachem to help if there was any type of infection. Or would meta -fix and prima -fix be a better choice?

whitetiprs said:
Well I just did a water change about 13 gal so I do not have no2 and no3 numbers just yet.
Try to get those as soon as you can. In order to get a "clear" picture of what's going on, as much info as possible needs to be provided.

I do not see any red marks but what I do see are patchy brownish-grey marks on his side and around one of his pectoral fins.

I will trying doing some searches for what you had suggested and let you know.

I was thinking of treating with para-gaurd by seachem to help if there was any type of infection. Or would meta -fix and prima -fix be a better choice?
It is beginning to sound more and more like a bacterial infection or possibley Vibrio. My guess is either the latter or a combination of both. There is also the possibility of fish TB (Mycobacterium marinum) given the symptoms so far. Paraguard would be the better choice if Vibrio, the other two you mention are pretty much useless for marine problems. I wouldn't bother with them for anything you may encounter.

Can you post another pic of the fish's entire body? The last two are of the tail only...

Cheers
Steve

Well the para guard must have worked because he looks alot better. All the spots are gone and his fins have healed up and look normal again. As for the bubble I ended up physicaly removing it from his tail, It was clear and hard and had a small redish brown streak in it. Not sure what it was but he is doing much better without it.

Thanks

whitetiprs said:
It was clear and hard and had a small redish brown streak in it.
Just a clarification, the streak was in the bubble or the tail itself?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom