bubble wands...your opinions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NIFTYneil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ive got a bubble wand in my tank and i like the look. i took it out of my old setup where it worked fine and moved it into my new saltwater setup. my problem is that my new filter seems to catch a bubble from time to time and it makes a loud sound when it sucks in the little pouch of air. is this bad? i want to move it, but its perfectly centered and i cant move the filter any further away from it either. anyways, should i just take it out or is there some kind of remedy? have any of you experienced anything like this? i guess i could get used to the sound if it isnt harmful. thanks for your help.

Evening Nn,

I will suggest a good shake to the canister, having a solid hold on it so it does not leave your hands. I did just this as a last resort to an Eheim W/D, and it worked.

Sue

Air bars, stones, bubblers, etc. have no place in a SW tank IMO. As the bubble burst at the surface, they send salt spray upward, coating everything in proximity with precipitated salt. Everyone gets salt creep to some extent but the bubbler will increase yours many times over. At least thats been my experience. I had one too (they do look cool) but took it out after a short time.
The noise you hear is the pump cavitating on air which can be bad if it is prolonged but a little here and there probably does no harm. I vote for removing the bubbler but it's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom