Bubbles?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halcyon_Diver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys,
As some of you know i set up an established tank last week.. today i have noticed there are tiny bubbles appearing where there is algae..on the LR and the glass...none on the sand however. I was wondering why they are there all of the sudden. When i purchased the tank there was quiet a bit of hair algae...i now have a diatom bloom( i ordered ceriths and astreas...and hermit crabs. should be here tomorrow) are the bubbles a cause for concern?

Ammonia-0
nitirte-<.1
nitrate< 10
ph- 8.3
phos- 0
dkh-8
ca-440
sg-35ppt
temp- 79.8
thanks for your advice!

No, the bubbles will be ok, sounds like the normal cycle process. I would not add anything to a tank that has nitrItes.

Are you recyling the tank? Are you using any LR from the tank or did it not have any in it?

it was an existing system....120 lbs LR and i replaced the sand with aragonite...90 lbs...i think i went thru a spike or perhaps a mini cycle...did a PWC yesterday..parameters tested this morning:
temp-78.9
ammonia-0
nitrite<1
nitrate<10...well below the color chart color...but has a slight tint
ph-8.3-8,4
kh-7
calcium-450
phos-0
alk-in the normal range
sg-35 ppt

Cyanobacteria and dinoflagalette "algae" are the only O2 producing algae that you'll see bubbles with. It sounds like it's just bubbles from the move (sand will usually bubble out for a while) but google those and see if that is what you have.

im getting a little nervous now..i hope its unfounded...all my parameters have stayed pretty good so far, phos and ammonia 0 and nitrate test color is almost clear...im just a little bit nervous about the algae and the small bubbles.
Devilishturtle...i believe the algae i have is diatoms and not cyano or dino.
the reason im a bit nervous is because of the livestock i have along with the corals...i have been a nut about testing( 2 times a day, once in the am and once in the pm)
and geeze....is it normal to have to top off almost a gallon a day? my wife says im payin more attention to the tanks than to her!!!! she tripped over me with the laundry basket while i was laying on the floor looking at the fuge..LOL..i think im gonna get some of those orange saftey cones and put them around the floor next time!!!

I have found phospates are very hard to detect with cyano present. Can you get a pic?
Evaporation will depend on the room's temp, lighting and other factors. I do about 1 Gallon a day on ly 55.
I like the cone idea! LOL!

Roka.
yes i will get a pic later on this after noon and thanks for the quick replys

Attachments

• algae_001_231.jpg
    algae_001_231.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 40
  • algae_002_122.jpg
    algae_002_122.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 43
  • algae_003_195.jpg
    algae_003_195.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 41
It is very common to have to top off that much a day. I have a total system volume of about 130 gallons and I top off about 2.5 gallons a day but that is because I have a fan blowing across the fuge and sump and 3 fans in my canopy. I also have a very very agressive skimmer that removes a fair amount of water each day.

As for your pics I see diatoms which come with the addition of the new sand. I remove a bit of sand every month or two when I do a good servicing of my system and add back sand and for a couple of days to about a week I see a little diatom bloom. Give it a little time and that will go away. It sounds like you keep a very close eye on your tank which is a good thing!

By the way, your wife will still step on you even with the cones...trust me! Mine says the same thing about me and my tank!

Hey Ziggy thanks for the reply....i will do a cleaning as you mentioned, as for the cones....maybe i need spike strips around them!!!!!!!!!!

Cleaning isn't needed right now...I would let things be for a while and let the diatom run its course...

If you use the spike strips let me know if it works....

Back
Top Bottom