Bubbles on live rock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gomer4378

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been getting alot of bubbles forming on my live rock.

Is this normal or is there something wrong?
I don't know if they are oxygen bubbles or not but I don't have a problem with micro bubbles, these are about 1mm dia.

Thanks

Is this a new setup? I just set mine up a short time ago and I found some of the algaes will create some bubbles. Especially the brown stuff (diatoms?).
I'm sure I might get corrected, but I believe it's the algae photosynthesizing.

My tank has been up for about 2 1/2 mo.
It's a possibility it's the algea, I know my coraline is really starting to take off, and I do still have some diatoms.

The best thing you could do for us right now is see if you can get a picture of it. Because if these bubbles are green then yes it is probably bubble algae. But if they look like regular air bubbles we could help figure out your cause.

I'll try and get a pic up this afternoon.

The bubbles are clear, they look like oxygen bubbles but I don't have and problems with any of my powerheads or pumps.

They are forming all over the rocks and when they get big enough ( about 1 mm) they release and float to the surface.

Assuming it's air bubbles, does this matter? Sometimes I have this.

Gomer...I don't have a clue...but for the Big Tank Guys coming along...what type of filter equipment are you using? Are you using a skimmer? What type and are you using a sock on it? How deep is your sand bed? Do you have any ammonia reading? Are all of your inhabitants accounted for? Do you have a lot of algae or just a little?

Good luck...I'm sure with everyone's input we can help. I am curious about them too.lol

Sometimes,on newer set ups the bubbles will seep up from the air in the sand/rocks. It can also be a part of your biofiltration doing it's job.
I agree, if they are red or green bubbles they could be algae, a pic would help. If they are air bubbles, I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:
I think it`s just bubbles coming from the nitrogen cycle. That`s where alot of the nitrifying bacteria is on your LR and sand. JMO

nitrogen cycle sounds like it fits.

I know under my sand there is a lot of bubbles forming.
I didn't know if the bacteria on the rock would do the same, if so then that is probably what it is.
How long does that cycle last and what is it actually doing?

Ok, my bad. I know what that cycle is.
I have passed that cycle already.
Ammonia. 0
Nitrite. 0
Nitrate. 5
Phosphate. 0
Ph. 8.2
Temp. 79
Calcium. 420

I tried to get some pics but camera sucks.

Yep, the bacteria on your rock and sand are the same....

Back
Top Bottom