Buckets To Transport / Store Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
Another newbie question please ...

For water transport and storage I bought a few 5-gallon buckets with lids from Home Depot. These buckets were new and clean and were sold in the 'paint' department.

I use them to transport water I purchase from my LFS for water changes and to keep some RO/DI water on hand for top offs. I'm no chemist so I am just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of whether storing water in these plastic buckets could affect the water?

You guys are really discussing the color of the buckets you use to carry water?!?!?. A home depot bucket is a home depot bucket.

BTW my water jugs are sort of blue to aquacolored. LOL:)

You guys are really discussing the color of the buckets you use to carry water?!?!?. A home depot bucket is a home depot bucket.

BTW my water jugs are sort of blue to aquacolored. LOL:)

Actually we were discussing the potential chemical migration from these 'hardware store buckets' and whether they are safe to transport and more importantly store pre-mixed saltwater and RO/DI water in.

If you are worried about it here is a suggestion. I just went to my LFS and asked to purchase some of the empty salt buckets they had used internally. The were happy to sell me some, and you can rest comfortable in that the salt manufacturer would not package in them if there was a risk.

If you are worried about it here is a suggestion. I just went to my LFS and asked to purchase some of the empty salt buckets they had used internally. The were happy to sell me some, and you can rest comfortable in that the salt manufacturer would not package in them if there was a risk.

Now that's great advice!

Actually we were discussing the potential chemical migration from these 'hardware store buckets' and whether they are safe to transport and more importantly store pre-mixed saltwater and RO/DI water in.

I know I was just kidding...that is exactly why I go water jerry cans from walmart. They are nice because they have a handle on the top and the side and are made to trasport and store water.

I know I was just kidding...that is exactly why I go water jerry cans from walmart. They are nice because they have a handle on the top and the side and are made to trasport and store water.

That's a great option as well ... it's not like I don't have a Walmart Supercenter on every other corner here!

I'll have to check the labeling on the sides of my grey buckets to see if there's any idications of exfoliation. I didn't even think to check to see if tehy were "food grade" or whatever when purchasing...

Maybe I'll just use them to buy live rock from the LFS :D

Back
Top Bottom